Solving Farmer Lever Problem | Min Force Needed

• Thread starter donjt81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lever
In summary, a farmer must exert a minimum force of 233.3N on the lever to lift a 210kg rock from the field. This can be calculated using elementary algebra by setting the distance from the rock to the fulcrum as x and the distance from the fulcrum to the handle as 9x.
donjt81
A farmer uses a lever to list a 210kg rock so he can remove it from the field. The distance, l1, from the lever's handle to the fulcrum is 9 times the distance, l2, from the fulcrum to the rock.
Assume: the fulcrum is between the rock and the handle. the weight of the lever is negligible.
What is the minimum force the farmer must exert on the lever in order to lift the rock?

I have no idea how to approach this problem. Can anyone give me some pointers so i can look for stuff in my book or online. what section would this kind of problem fall in.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not google on "using levers with fulcrum" (omit the quotes) ?

donjt81 said:
A farmer uses a lever to list a 210kg rock so he can remove it from the field. The distance, l1, from the lever's handle to the fulcrum is 9 times the distance, l2, from the fulcrum to the rock.
Assume: the fulcrum is between the rock and the handle. the weight of the lever is negligible.
What is the minimum force the farmer must exert on the lever in order to lift the rock?
I have no idea how to approach this problem. Can anyone give me some pointers so i can look for stuff in my book or online. what section would this kind of problem fall in.
thanks in advance

It is not hard if you use elementary algebra ...
Let x be the distance from rock to fulcrum, then 9x is from handle to fulcrum

Hence, F times 9x = 2100x

F = 233.3N

1. What is the Farmer Lever Problem?

The Farmer Lever Problem is a physics problem that involves determining the minimum force needed to lift an object using a lever. It is based on the principle of mechanical advantage, which states that a lever can amplify the force applied to it.

2. How is the minimum force needed calculated?

The minimum force needed to lift an object using a lever is calculated using the equation F1 x d1 = F2 x d2, where F1 is the effort force applied to the lever, d1 is the distance from the fulcrum to the effort force, F2 is the load force of the object being lifted, and d2 is the distance from the fulcrum to the load force. This equation is based on the principle of torque, which states that the product of the force and the distance from the fulcrum must be equal on both sides of the lever.

3. What factors affect the minimum force needed?

The minimum force needed to lift an object using a lever is affected by several factors, including the length of the lever, the position of the fulcrum, and the weight of the object being lifted. Generally, a longer lever and a closer fulcrum will require less force to lift the object.

4. How can the minimum force needed be minimized?

The minimum force needed can be minimized by adjusting the length of the lever and the position of the fulcrum. By increasing the length of the lever and moving the fulcrum closer to the load force, the minimum force needed can be reduced. Additionally, using a lever with a greater mechanical advantage can also minimize the force needed.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Farmer Lever Problem?

The Farmer Lever Problem has many real-life applications, such as using a crowbar to lift heavy objects, using a wrench to loosen tight bolts, and using a seesaw to lift a friend off the ground. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the appropriate design and placement of levers for lifting heavy objects and machinery.