Lever rotating around an axis.

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lever of length 3L can rotate freely around a horizontal axis O.
    The end of each arm "2L" and "L" of the lever has one mass : "4m" and "9m" , respectively.

Find the velocity of mass "9m" at the bottom.
    Consider that the lever was initially at rest in the horizontal position.

2. Relevant equations
    The problem is in a chapter of work and energy, before the conceps of torque and moment of inercia, so i guess that only energy and work can solve this.
    But any solution/hint with any method will be welcome.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to apply conservation of energy, but i'm confused if the whole system is conservating energy or only part of it.

I really need a hint of how start this problem or if possible a solution of it.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. andrevdh

andrevdh 1,724
    Homework Helper

What forces are acting on the system?

4. I believe that only the gravitational forces are acting on the system "lever+masses". I can't see any other possible force able to do work.

5. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since everything is connected, treat the system as a whole. How does the mechanical energy change as the system rotates?

6. The mechanical energy of the system as whole is doesn't changing ... right?
    (Does the support O of the lever is doing work?) .

7. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    I interpret "rotate freely" as saying that there is no friction, and thus no mechanical energy lost to friction. The support O does no work, since it doesn't move.

8. Thank you very much for the help DocAl. The sentence quoted above is exactly what i was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?