1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Levers (Moments)

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform 10 m long, 50 kg pole is lying on the ground. You get your little brother to lift at one end with an upward force of 100 N. How far from the other end will you need to lift so the pole stays horizontal (in m)? [Hint: Using your little brother as the fulcrum, what upward force, in N will you need to apply?]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, Im really confused as to how to answer this. I know its to do with moments but i dont understand how to use the brother as the fulcrum because how much force does the other brother have to apply? the question doesnt say

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    I think this is a poorly conceived question.
    The other brother must lift with at least a force that will, when combined with the first brother, equal the weight of the the pole. In round figures (taking g as 10m/s²)
    The weight is 500N and the one guy has an upward force of 100N, so you need at least 400N upwards. The question is, where do you apply that 400N to keep the pole horizontal; that is, there is no overall turning moment.
    (At least that's what I think they mean!)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook