Solving Lever Mechanics: Find Ideal Mechanical Advantage

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the ideal mechanical advantage of a lever, which is determined by the ratio of the effort arm length to the resistance arm length. The provided information includes a man using 65 N to lift a box with a lever, with an effort arm of 60 cm and a resistance arm of 10 cm. The formula for the ideal mechanical advantage is Le/Lr, and the 65 N is extraneous information for this calculation.
billnyerocks
Levers Please Help!

A man uses 65 N to lift a box off the ground with a lever. The effort arm is 60 cm. The resistance arm is 10 cm. What is the Ideal Mechanical Advantage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem: the mechanical advantage is the ratio of the arm lengths. Calculate it (you need to figure out which goes on top) and tell us what you get.

The formula for the ideal mechanical advantage of a lever is Le divided by Lr (Lever effort over Lever resistance), which would make it 6 cm, but what is the 65 N for?

billnyerocks said:
The formula for the ideal mechanical advantage of a lever is Le divided by Lr (Lever effort over Lever resistance), which would make it 6 cm, but what is the 65 N for?

Some problems give you more information than you need to answer the question. The 65 N is information you do not need to find the ideal mechanical advantage.

Sorry about the double post, but after I posted, I read something that said to post in the homework section for homework help. Trying to follow the rules, I posted there. I thought that you could delete a post, but you can't, so I got two posts.

billnyerocks said:
Actually, its unitless - since cm/cm cancels to 1, the units disappear.

What is the definition of mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the effectiveness of a simple machine in multiplying the force applied to it.

How do you calculate the ideal mechanical advantage of a lever?

The ideal mechanical advantage of a lever is calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the input force by the distance from the fulcrum to the output force.

What is the relationship between the length of the lever and its mechanical advantage?

The longer the lever, the greater the mechanical advantage. this is because a longer lever allows for a smaller input force to produce a larger output force.

What is the difference between ideal mechanical advantage and actual mechanical advantage?

Ideal mechanical advantage is the theoretical ratio of output force to input force, while actual mechanical advantage takes into account any friction or inefficiencies in the machine.

How can you increase the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be increased by increasing the length of the lever or by moving the fulcrum closer to the load.