1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levers Please Help

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    Levers Please Help!!!

A man uses 65 N to lift a box off the ground with a lever. The effort arm is 60 cm. The resistance arm is 10 cm. What is the Ideal Mechanical Advantage?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a homework problem: the mechanical advantage is the ratio of the arm lengths. Calculate it (you need to figure out which goes on top) and tell us what you get.

4. May 17, 2005 #3
    The formula for the ideal mechanical advantage of a lever is Le divided by Lr (Lever effort over Lever resistance), which would make it 6 cm, but what is the 65 N for?

5. May 17, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some problems give you more information than you need to answer the question. The 65 N is information you do not need to find the ideal mechanical advantage.

6. May 18, 2005 #5
    Sorry about the double post, but after I posted, I read something that said to post in the homework section for homework help. Trying to follow the rules, I posted there. I thought that you could delete a post, but you can't, so I got two posts.

7. May 18, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Actually, its unitless - since cm/cm cancels to 1, the units disappear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?