Levi-Civita & Jacobi: Meaning & Question

In summary, the parallel bars in the Levi-Civita symbol mean anti-symmetrisation. There is a typo in the EX, and the 1/2 on the right hand side is there to make sure that if you have a symmetric tensor, you don't have to do anything and get the same tensor back.
zn52
hey Folks,
please have a look at the attached Ex from MTW. does somebody know what is the meaning of the parallel bars in the first levi civita symbol ? Is there a typo in this EX perhaps? I would have expected that on the right hand side one would see the product which is shown in the first formula and not the Jacobian...
Thank you,

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,133
Physics news on Phys.org
The lines mean antisymmetrisation. A more common notation is to use square brackets, so
[tex]
T_{[\mu\nu]}=\frac{1}{2}\left(T_{\mu\nu}-T_{\nu\mu}\right)
[/tex]
and more generally, if there are n indices in the brackets, it means a sum over all permutations of the indices, with a minus sign for odd permutations, all divided by n!, which is the total number of permutations. You might also see ordinary round brackets () which mean symmetrisation, in which case the signs are all +.

Isn't the Levi-Civita symbol a totally anti-symmetric (pseudo)-tensor, so anti-symmetrizing it...shouldn't change it though...right...o_O

thank you very much.
I have tried to expand the Levi-Civita symbol as you mentioned above, but how would the anti-symmetrisation yield the half on the RHS of the formula ?

I agree at least for 2 D...

The 1/2 is to make sure that if you have a tensor which is already anti-symmetric, then you don't have to do anything and get the same tensor back. Similarly, that's why you have the 1/n! for the symmetrization.

The issue in this very example is that on the LHS, if you would expand the Levi-Civita symbol using the antisymmetrisation you mentioned above, you will end up with the same symbol which is on he RHS. This would mean that the 1/2 has no place ! I'm may be confused or I'm I missing something ? I hope you see what I mean.
Thanks.

Apologies, I've reread the question and it looks like the convention the question uses for antisymmetrisation doesn't include the factor of n!. The equality between the first line and the final answer is unambiguously true though, so just make sure you can derive that.

The point of having the factor is that if you have an antisymmetric tensor [itex]A_{\mu\nu}[/itex], you can write it as [itex]A_{\mu\nu}=A_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=\frac{1}{2}\left(A_{\mu\nu}-A_{\nu\mu}\right)[/itex]. The half appears because there are two terms, all of them equal. The same would hold for n indices, in which case there would be n! equal terms.

I thank you so much for your clarification and guidance. Now I have moved on after having worked intensively on the Levi-civita and determinants. I had to work through simple cases in 3D and 2D in order to understand these mathematical identities...

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol or the epsilon symbol, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus and differential geometry to represent the orientation of a coordinate system. It takes on a value of either +1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices.

2. Who discovered the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol was discovered by Italian mathematician Tullio Levi-Civita in 1896. It was later named after him as a tribute to his work in differential geometry and tensor calculus.

3. What is the significance of the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol plays a crucial role in defining cross products, vector derivatives, and vector identities in physics and engineering. It also helps in simplifying complicated mathematical equations involving tensors and determinants.

4. What is the Jacobi identity related to the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Jacobi identity is a fundamental property of the Levi-Civita symbol, which states that the symbol is totally antisymmetric in its indices and obeys a specific set of mathematical rules. It is used to derive identities and equations in tensor calculus and differential geometry.

5. How are Levi-Civita and Jacobi related?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used to define the Jacobi identity, which is a necessary condition for the existence of a Lie algebra. The Jacobi identity also helps in defining the structure constants of a Lie algebra, which are used to study the properties of a group. Hence, the two concepts are closely related in mathematics and physics.