Levi-Civita Connection & Length of Curves in GR

In summary, the conversation discussed two unresolved questions about studying GR. The first question concerned the Levi-Civita connection and the two conditions that determine affine connections. The second question was about the length of curves on a manifold and the formula for calculating it. It was clarified that the length of a curve does not depend on how fast one moves through it, but rather on the tangent vector and the metric tensor.
Blub
I am studying GR and I have these two following unresolved questions up until now:

The first one concerns the Levi-Civita connection. There are two conditions which determine the affine connections. The first one is that the connection is torsion-free (which is true for space-time and comes from experiment), the second one is that the parallel transport is an isometry/ the metric is invariant at each point on the manifold. My question is that why can we impose this 2. condition?

My 2. question is about the length of curves on a manifold, which is given by the formula in the pic I attached.

g is the metric tensor and v the tangent vector of gamma at the point gamma of t.

This is maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't this mean by this formula that the length of a curve depends on how fast we move through the curve? Or maybe my understanding of a tangent vector is wrong...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201127_120116.jpg
    20201127_120116.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 225
Physics news on Phys.org
Blub said:
My 2. question is about the length of curves on a manifold, which is given by the formula in the pic I attached.

g is the metric tensor and v the tangent vector of gamma at the point gamma of t.

This is maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't this mean by this formula that the length of a curve depends on how fast we move through the curve? Or maybe my understanding of a tangent vector is wrong...
I don't know the answer to the first question but for the second, if ##v(t) = d\gamma / dt## is a tangent vector to the path at parameter ##t##, then like it says in your book the length of the path will be$$L[\gamma] = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \sqrt{g(v,v)}$$or if you represent the path in some coordinates ##x^{\mu}(t)##,$$L[\gamma] = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{dt} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{dt}}$$but you could also change the parameterisation of the path to ##\tilde{\gamma} : [\tilde{t}_1, \tilde{t}_2] \rightarrow M##, i.e. changing 'how quickly' you go along the path, so that your new tangent vector is ##\tilde{v}(\tilde{t}) = d\tilde{\gamma} / d\tilde{t}##. Using the chain rule,$$L[\tilde{\gamma}] = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2}\frac{dt}{d\tilde{t}} d\tilde{t}\sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tilde{t}} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tilde{t}} \left( \frac{d\tilde{t}}{dt}\right)^2} = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2} d\tilde{t}\sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tilde{t}} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tilde{t}} } = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2}d\tilde{t} \sqrt{g(\tilde{v}, \tilde{v})} $$and in that way, the length of the path shouldn't depend on the parameter you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71, Blub and Ibix
A slightly less rigourous way of stating what @etotheipi said is that the tangent vector is normalised (often to ##c##, sometimes to 1 even in unit systems where ##c\neq 1##), so its modulus isn't physically signficant. Changing your normalisation must then come out in the wash, which is what the maths above shows.

Regarding your first question, metric compatibility is a formal way of requiring that if I define a local Lorentz frame inside my free-falling spaceship then wait a while (parallel transporting my local frame along a geodesic) my frame definition remains a valid local Lorentz frame.

Likes vanhees71, Blub and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I don't know the answer to the first question but for the second, if ##v(t) = d\gamma / dt## is a tangent vector to the path at parameter ##t##, then like it says in your book the length of the path will be$$L[\gamma] = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \sqrt{g(v,v)}$$or if you represent the path in some coordinates ##x^{\mu}(t)##,$$L[\gamma] = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{dt} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{dt}}$$but you could also change the parameterisation of the path to ##\tilde{\gamma} : [\tilde{t}_1, \tilde{t}_2] \rightarrow M##, i.e. changing 'how quickly' you go along the path, so that your new tangent vector is ##\tilde{v}(\tilde{t}) = d\tilde{\gamma} / d\tilde{t}##. Using the chain rule,$$L[\tilde{\gamma}] = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2}\frac{dt}{d\tilde{t}} d\tilde{t}\sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tilde{t}} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tilde{t}} \left( \frac{d\tilde{t}}{dt}\right)^2} = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2} d\tilde{t}\sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tilde{t}} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tilde{t}} } = \int_{\tilde{t}_1}^{\tilde{t}_2}d\tilde{t} \sqrt{g(\tilde{v}, \tilde{v})} $$and in that way, the length of the path shouldn't depend on the parameter you choose.
That makes sense. I think I was also comparing tangent vectors living in different tangent spaces in my mind and got confused about the notion of velocity on a manifold. Thank you for your help.

I believe that in order for a local Lorentz frame to exist at each point, the affine connection must be both torsion free and metric compatible. Such a connection is a Levi-Civita connection by definition.

A connection that is torsion free but not necessarily compatible with a metric still has a local frame -called normal coordinates - in which the Christoffel symbols vanish at the central point of the coordinate system. If the torsion is not zero at the central point then the Christoffel symbols can not vanish. Metric compatibility will not insure this. There are metric compatible connections that are not torsion free.

It is also true that in a Levi-Civta connection that the first partial derivatives of the metric tensor components are zero at the central point of a normal coordinate system. What is the physical significance of this condition?

Likes vanhees71
ChinleShale said:
What is the physical significance of this condition?
I think non-zero first partial derivatives of the metric means that there are inertial forces present. In the context of gravitation this means that we feel gravity in the every day sense of "let go of a ball and it falls" (e.g., in Schwarzschild coordinates ##\partial_r g\neq 0##). So, that they vanish in a local Lorentz frame means that such frames are inertial (MTW seems to regard this as another way of describing metric compatibility).

There is at least one theory of gravity in which the metric is not torsion free, Einstein-Cartan theory. See for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Einstein–Cartan_theory&oldid=965218745. Wiki states that the theory has a locally gauged Lorentz symmetry. However, the theory is normally indistinguishable from GR. Only in extreme conditions where quantum spin becomes important does it differ experimentally. Einstein-Cartan theory gets rid of the singularities due to gravitational collapse, replacing them with a "bounce", and it solves some problems GR has when trying to do semi-classical approximations involving particles with spin.

Likes vanhees71
I think that the extension of GR to Einstein-Cartan theory is necessary given that obviously there are elementary particles with spin 1/2 (quarks and leptons). This of course doesn't contradict the great empirical success of GR since it's tested of course only on (very) macroscopic systems, where spin doesn't play too much of a role since the usual thermal systems are randomized concerning the spins. The other relevant field is of course the electromagnetic one, and this also doesn't imply torsion. I think that's the reason, why standard GR is so successful (in some respects at very high precision as from pulsar-timing observations concerning the PPN parameters, which AFAIC all are with very high significance compatible to the GR values).

vanhees71 said:
I think that the extension of GR to Einstein-Cartan theory is necessary given that obviously there are elementary particles with spin 1/2 (quarks and leptons).
Why "necessary"?

Roy Kerr showed [Ref 1] that, in a Lorentz-covariant improvement of the Einstein-Infeld-Hofman method for extracting equations of motion for test particles from the EFE, there are, at lowest order, additional constants that can be identified with intrinsic spin and a dipole moment of the particle's rest mass.
The classical equations of angular momentum also emerge from the analysis.

Ref 1:

R. P. Kerr,
The Lorentz-Covariant Approximation Method in General Relativity. - I
Nuovo Cimento, vol XIII, no 3, p469 (1959).

(See also his 2nd paper that performs the analysis at the next higher order, and a 3rd paper incorporates an electromagnetic stress tensor in the EFE.)

Interesting, but I thought to get a consistent theory of Dirac fields in curved spacetime you need necessarily a spacetime with torsion, at least if you use the gauge approach (i.e., making Lorentz invariance of SR local).

1. What is the Levi-Civita Connection in General Relativity?

The Levi-Civita Connection is a mathematical tool used in General Relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is a type of connection that allows for the calculation of the curvature tensor, which is used to describe the curvature of spacetime in Einstein's theory of gravity.

2. How is the Levi-Civita Connection related to the Christoffel symbols?

The Levi-Civita Connection is closely related to the Christoffel symbols, as it is constructed from them. The Christoffel symbols are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, and the Levi-Civita Connection is a type of connection that is built from the Christoffel symbols.

3. What is the significance of the Levi-Civita Connection in General Relativity?

The Levi-Civita Connection is significant in General Relativity because it allows for the calculation of the curvature tensor, which is a crucial component in Einstein's theory of gravity. It also helps to describe the geodesic equation, which is used to calculate the paths of objects moving through curved spacetime.

4. How is the length of a curve calculated in General Relativity?

In General Relativity, the length of a curve is calculated using the Levi-Civita Connection. This connection allows for the calculation of the curvature tensor, which is used to determine the distance between two points in curved spacetime. The length of a curve is then calculated by integrating the distance along the curve using the curvature tensor.

5. Can the Levi-Civita Connection be extended to other theories of gravity?

Yes, the Levi-Civita Connection can be extended to other theories of gravity, such as Einstein-Cartan theory or teleparallel gravity. However, the specific form of the connection may vary depending on the theory being used. The concept of a connection is a fundamental tool in understanding the curvature of spacetime, and thus is applicable in various theories of gravity.