1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levi-Civita Identity help

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Can somebody show me how

[itex]\epsilon_{mni}a_{n}(\epsilon_{ijk}b_j c_{k})[/itex]

Turns in to

[itex]\epsilon_{imn}\epsilon_{ijk}a_{n}b_j c_{k}[/itex]

Something about the first [itex]\epsilon[/itex] I'm not seeing here when the terms are moved around.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The tensor changes sign when you transpose two indices, right? A cyclic permutation is an even number of transpositions, so [itex]\epsilon_{mni} = \epsilon_{nim} = \epsilon_{imn}[/itex].

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    When [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n}[/itex] change places the [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex] changes to a cyclic permutation that is still positive and [itex]\epsilon_{mni} =\epsilon_{imn}=\epsilon_{nim} [/itex] but each one of these will give a different final answer.

I don't see how [itex]\epsilon_{mni} [/itex] turns to [itex]\epsilon_{imn} [/itex] when [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} [/itex] doesn't change.

This is from a problem proving the A X (B X C) = (A*C)B-(A*B)C identity.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can swap [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] because real numbers commute. Swapping them has nothing to do with reordering the indices of [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex].

[itex]\epsilon_{mni} = \epsilon_{imn}[/itex] for all i, m, and n, so you can simply replace [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex] with [itex]\epsilon_{imn}[/itex] in the summation. There's no relabeling of indices going on if that's what you think is happening.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook