Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Levi-Civita Identity help

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Can somebody show me how

[itex]\epsilon_{mni}a_{n}(\epsilon_{ijk}b_j c_{k})[/itex]

Turns in to

[itex]\epsilon_{imn}\epsilon_{ijk}a_{n}b_j c_{k}[/itex]

Something about the first [itex]\epsilon[/itex] I'm not seeing here when the terms are moved around.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The tensor changes sign when you transpose two indices, right? A cyclic permutation is an even number of transpositions, so [itex]\epsilon_{mni} = \epsilon_{nim} = \epsilon_{imn}[/itex].

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    When [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n}[/itex] change places the [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex] changes to a cyclic permutation that is still positive and [itex]\epsilon_{mni} =\epsilon_{imn}=\epsilon_{nim} [/itex] but each one of these will give a different final answer.

I don't see how [itex]\epsilon_{mni} [/itex] turns to [itex]\epsilon_{imn} [/itex] when [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} [/itex] doesn't change.

This is from a problem proving the A X (B X C) = (A*C)B-(A*B)C identity.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can swap [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] because real numbers commute. Swapping them has nothing to do with reordering the indices of [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex].

[itex]\epsilon_{mni} = \epsilon_{imn}[/itex] for all i, m, and n, so you can simply replace [itex]\epsilon_{mni}[/itex] with [itex]\epsilon_{imn}[/itex] in the summation. There's no relabeling of indices going on if that's what you think is happening.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook