Levi-Civita proofs for divergence of curls, etc

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Levi-Civita notation to prove two mathematical equations. The user shares their attempts and asks for feedback and clarification. The expert suggests using identities and properties of the Levi-Civita symbol to simplify the calculations and improve the proofs. The user is encouraged to practice more examples to become more comfortable with the notation.
theuserman
I've also posted this in the Math forum as it is math as well.

---

I want to know if I'm on the right track here. I'm asked to prove the following.

a) [tex]\nabla \cdot (\vec{A} \times \vec{B}) = \vec{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A} \cdot (\nabla \times \vec{B})[/tex]
b) [tex]\nabla \times (f \vec{A}) = f(\nabla \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A} \times (\nabla f)[/tex] (where f is a scalar function)

And want (read: need to, due to a professor's insistence) to prove these using Levi-Civita notation. I've used the following for reference:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~thopman/246/indicial.pdf and http://folk.uio.no/patricg/teaching/a112/levi-civita/

Here's my attempts - I need to see if I have this notation down correctly...

a) [tex]\nabla \cdot (\vec{A} \times \vec{B}) [/tex]

= [tex]\partial_i \hat{u}_i \cdot \epsilon_{jkl} \vec{A}_j \vec{B}_k \hat{u}_l[/tex]

= [tex]\partial_i \vec{A}_j \vec{B}_k \hat{u}_i \cdot \hat{u}_l \epsilon_{jkl}[/tex]

Now I thought it'd be wise to use the identity that [tex]\hat{u}_i \cdot \hat{u}_l = \delta_{il}[/tex].

= [tex]\partial_i \vec{A}_j \vec{B}_k \delta_{il} \epsilon_{jkl}[/tex]

In which we make i = l (and the [tex]\delta_{il}[/tex] goes to 1).

= [tex]\partial_i \vec{A}_j \vec{B}_k \epsilon_{jki} [/tex]

Then using 'scalar derivative product rules' we get two terms. Now, here's where I get a little mixed up. I'm wondering if we rearrange the terms and then modify the epsilon to go in order the the terms.

= [tex] \vec{B}_k \partial_i \vec{A}_j \epsilon_{kij} + \vec{A}_j \partial_i \vec{B}_k \epsilon_{jik}[/tex]

Now since the first epsilon is 'even' it remains positive, the other epsilon is 'odd' so that term becomes negative and we end up with the required result.

= [tex] \vec{B} (\nabla \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A} (\nabla \times \vec{B}) [/tex]

b) [tex]\nabla \times (f \vec{A}) [/tex] (where f is a scalar function)

= [tex] \partial_i f \vec{A}_j \hat{u}_k \epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]

= [tex]f \partial_i \vec{A}_j \hat{u}_k \epsilon_{ijk}+ \vec{A}_j \partial_i f \hat{u}_k \epsilon_{jik}[/tex]

Once again, the first epsilon is the positive ('even') while the other is negative ('odd').

= [tex] f (\nabla \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A}(\nabla f)[/tex]

Man, my hands hurt from all that tex work :P Been awhile for me.
Since my teacher refuses to tell me if this is the correct method (he's only willing to show the concepts, and while I can appreciate that I don't want my mark to go to hell), can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

---

Thank you for sharing your work on proving the given equations using Levi-Civita notation. It seems like you have a good grasp on the notation and the steps involved in proving these equations. However, I would like to offer some feedback and suggestions to further improve your understanding and clarity in your proofs.

Firstly, in part a), you have correctly used the identity \hat{u}_i \cdot \hat{u}_l = \delta_{il}. However, you can also use the identity \epsilon_{ijk} = \epsilon_{jki} = \epsilon_{kij}, which is known as the cyclic property of the Levi-Civita symbol. This will help simplify your calculations and reduce the number of terms you have to consider.

Next, when rearranging the terms in your proof, you can also use the identity \epsilon_{jki} = -\epsilon_{ijk} to make the negative term positive and vice versa. This will help you arrive at the required result more easily.

In part b), you have correctly used the product rule for derivatives to expand the expression. However, when using the cyclic property of the Levi-Civita symbol, you will have to consider all possible arrangements of the indices. For example, you can also have \epsilon_{kij} and \epsilon_{ikj} in addition to \epsilon_{ijk}. By considering all these arrangements, you will have the complete expansion of the expression.

Overall, your understanding of Levi-Civita notation seems to be on the right track. I would suggest practicing more examples and familiarizing yourself with the various identities and properties of the Levi-Civita symbol to become more comfortable with using it in your proofs.

Best of luck with your studies!

---

Your proof for part a) looks correct to me. Using the Levi-Civita notation, you have correctly expanded the dot product and then used the identity \hat{u}_i \cdot \hat{u}_l = \delta_{il} to simplify the expression. Then by rearranging the terms and modifying the epsilon symbol accordingly, you have arrived at the desired result.

For part b), your proof also seems to be correct. You have expanded the cross product using the Levi-Civita notation and then used the product rule for derivatives to arrive at the result. The only thing I would point out is that in the last step, you have a typo where you have written \vec{A}(\nabla f) instead of \vec{A} \times (\nabla f). Other than that, your proof seems to be correct.

Overall, your understanding of the Levi-Civita notation seems to be good and you have used it correctly to prove these identities. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Levi-Civita proof?

A Levi-Civita proof is a mathematical proof that utilizes the Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, to simplify and solve problems involving vector calculus. It is named after Italian mathematician Tullio Levi-Civita, who first introduced it in his work on tensor calculus.

2. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol is a mathematical symbol denoted by the Greek letter epsilon (𝜀) that represents the sign of a permutation. It is commonly used in vector calculus to simplify cross and dot products, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as differential geometry and physics.

3. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in divergence and curl proofs?

In divergence proofs, the Levi-Civita symbol is used to simplify the expression for the divergence of a vector field. In curl proofs, it is used to simplify the expression for the curl of a vector field. By using the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol, these proofs can be solved more efficiently and easily.

4. Are there any limitations to using Levi-Civita proofs?

While Levi-Civita proofs can be very helpful in solving problems involving vector calculus, they do have some limitations. They may not be applicable to all types of vector fields, and some problems may require other techniques to solve. It is important to understand when and how to use the Levi-Civita symbol effectively.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Levi-Civita proofs?

To improve your understanding of Levi-Civita proofs, it is important to have a strong foundation in vector calculus and linear algebra. Practice solving problems using the Levi-Civita symbol, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for further explanation and examples. Collaborating with other mathematicians or seeking guidance from a mentor can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of these proofs.