Can Two Levi-Civita Symbols be Reduced to One with Indices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing two Levi-Civita symbols with specific indices to one with different indices. The symbols are multiplied by matrices and there is a question about whether the expression can be written in a certain form using the properties of the symbols. There is also a question about using Levi-Civita symbol contraction with second or third rank tensors.
Safinaz
Hi there,

Can two Levi-Civia symbols ## \epsilon^{ckl} \epsilon_{ibj} ## reduced to one with indices ## \epsilon_{kij} ## ?

WHERE b and c run from 4 to 5, the other indices run from 1 to 3 and both symbols are multiplied by the following matrices:

## A_{ib}^c ~ B^{kl} ~ C_j ~\epsilon^{ckl} \epsilon_{ibj} ~ [1] ##,

## B^{kl}## is antisymmetric in k and l, and A is antisymmetric in b and c ..

So I hope my question is clear enough .. in summary, can expression [1] written in the forum : ## A_i ~ B_k ~ C_j ~ \epsilon_{ikj} ## ?

I think doing this needs with using Levi-Civita symbol properties , to use some direct products of matrices, as: ## 3 \times 3 = 3^*_{Antisymm}+6_{Symm} ##, and ## 2 \times 2 = 1_A +3_S ## .

Any ideas ?
Thanx.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that this is even possible? you are dropping away free indices,..

mmmm .. which one ? in [1] all the indices (i,b,j,k,l,c) are contacted .

Can we use here Levi-Civita symbol contraction with second or third rank tensor ? if there any relation like in the metric tensor ## A^\alpha = g^{\alpha\beta} A_\beta ## ..

Last edited:

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. It is commonly denoted by the Greek letter epsilon (ε).

2. What is the purpose of Levi-Civita symbol reduction?

The purpose of Levi-Civita symbol reduction is to simplify expressions involving the Levi-Civita symbol, making them easier to work with and calculate.

3. How is Levi-Civita symbol reduction performed?

Levi-Civita symbol reduction is performed by using the properties of the symbol to simplify the expression. These properties include the antisymmetry property, which states that the symbol changes sign when the indices are interchanged, and the identity property, which states that the symbol is equal to 1 if all indices are different and 0 if any indices are repeated.

4. What are some applications of Levi-Civita symbol reduction?

Levi-Civita symbol reduction is commonly used in vector calculus and differential geometry, where it can simplify the calculation of cross products and determinants. It is also used in physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetic fields and relativity.

5. Are there any limitations to Levi-Civita symbol reduction?

Levi-Civita symbol reduction can only be applied to expressions involving the Levi-Civita symbol. It cannot be used to simplify other types of mathematical expressions. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the indices used in the expression are valid and do not violate any of the properties of the symbol.