Levitation with Permanent magnets

• Thread starter excel110
  • Start date
Sure. It's also possible to balance a pencil on its point. There too the forces would be balanced.

Lol, good point

I find study of levitation very interesting. I did some research online. I did not find any working demo out there that allows permanent magnet levitation without spinning the magnet or attaching strings or electromagnet lifting. If you do find any, please let me know.

There's levitation with electromagnets but that require large energy. Because electromagnets are doing the actual lifting.

Part of the problem is static magnets alone cause stability problem. However, there could be a solution where a control mechanism could stabilize while permanent magnets do the lifting. In that case, small batteries could supply energy for months without dying out. No plug-in to wall necessary. In theory, it's doable. In practice, I found it to be almost impossible. I have a few ideas how to stabilize the top magnet while keeping bottom magnet stationary.

I want to hear from you if you come across any technology that allows permanent magnet levitation with a control mechanism (stabilizer) that uses very little energy?

Hi
The system is not possible using permanent magnets alone because , as others have pointed out earlier, of Earnshaw's theorem.
Physically the moment the frame shifts infintesimally from the stable position, due to some disturbance, the attractive force ofthe top magnets decreases as square ofthe distance while that due to the lower magnet increases as the square of the distance. For thesystem to return the initial stable position the attractive force of the top magnet should increase and that of the lower magnet decrease and not vice versa. Thus the system collapses.
Wityh electromagnets the system can be restored to its intial config by adjusting the control currents and thence the magnet strength.

Hope this helps