Identifying Lewis Acids: Examples and Corrections

• Thread starter vsage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary, Lewis acids are species that can accept an electron pair to form a covalent bond. The correct Lewis acids for the given reactions are CaO(s), Ca^{+2}(aq), Al(OH_2)_6^{+3}, CaO(s), and NaCl(s) (although it does not have a Lewis acid).
vsage
It's been awhile since I've done chem and I don't really remember how to identify Lewis Acids too well so here are a few problems I'd like you guys to check over / correct:

[tex]CaO(s) + SO_3(g) \rightarrow CaSO_4[/tex] My answer: [tex]SO_3[/tex]

[tex]Ca^{+2}(aq) + SO_4^{-2}(aq) \rightarrow CaSO_4(s)[/tex] My answer: [tex]Ca^{+2}[/tex]

[tex]Al(OH_2)_6^{+3} + H_2O \rightarrow Al(OH_2)_5OH^{+2} + H_3O^{+}[/tex] My answer: [tex]Al(OH_2)_5OH^{+2}[/tex]

[tex]CaO(s) + H_2O(l) \rightarrow Ca(OH)_2(s)[/tex]. My answer: [tex]CaO(s)[/tex] but there's also another Lewis Acid according to the worksheet

[tex]NaCl(s) \rightarrow (H_2O) Na^+(aq) + Cl^-(aq)[/tex]
My answer: [tex]Cl^-[/tex] but there's another Lewis Acid according to the worksheet

I unfortunately had to miss class for another exam the day of this lecture so I'm pretty clueless! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I would be happy to help you with identifying Lewis acids. Here are the correct answers for the problems you provided:

CaO(s) + SO_3(g) → CaSO_4
Correct answer: CaO(s) is the Lewis acid in this reaction.

Ca^{+2}(aq) + SO_4^{-2}(aq) → CaSO_4(s)
Correct answer: Ca^{+2}(aq) is the Lewis acid in this reaction.

Al(OH_2)_6^{+3} + H_2O → Al(OH_2)_5OH^{+2} + H_3O^+
Correct answer: Al(OH_2)_6^{+3} is the Lewis acid in this reaction.

CaO(s) + H_2O(l) → Ca(OH)_2(s)
Correct answer: CaO(s) is the Lewis acid in this reaction.

NaCl(s) → (H_2O) Na^+(aq) + Cl^-(aq)
Correct answer: NaCl(s) does not have a Lewis acid as it does not have a vacant orbital to accept electrons. The reaction would be better written as NaCl(s) + H_2O(l) → Na^+(aq) + Cl^- (aq) + H_2O(l).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had about identifying Lewis acids. Remember, a Lewis acid is a species that can accept an electron pair to form a covalent bond. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

First of all, your answers for the first three problems are correct. SO_3, Ca^{+2}, and Al(OH_2)_5OH^{+2} are all Lewis acids in these reactions.

However, for the fourth problem, your answer is not completely correct. While CaO can act as a Lewis acid in this reaction, there is actually another Lewis acid present as well - H_2O. In this reaction, H_2O acts as a Lewis acid by accepting a lone pair of electrons from CaO to form Ca(OH)_2. So the correct answer would be CaO and H_2O as Lewis acids in this reaction.

For the final problem, your answer is partially correct. Cl^- is indeed a Lewis acid in this reaction as it accepts a lone pair of electrons from H_2O to form HCl. However, there is another Lewis acid present - Na^+. Na^+ acts as a Lewis acid by accepting a lone pair of electrons from H_2O to form NaOH. So the correct answer would be Cl^- and Na^+ as Lewis acids in this reaction.

In summary, it is important to remember that Lewis acids are electron acceptors and can be identified by their ability to accept a lone pair of electrons from a Lewis base. In some cases, there may be multiple Lewis acids present in a reaction. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in identifying Lewis acids!

1. What is a Lewis acid and how is it different from a Bronsted-Lowry acid?

A Lewis acid is a substance that can accept a pair of electrons, while a Bronsted-Lowry acid is a substance that can donate a proton. This means that all Bronsted-Lowry acids are also Lewis acids, but not all Lewis acids are Bronsted-Lowry acids.

2. Can you provide some examples of Lewis acids?

Some common examples of Lewis acids include metal ions, such as aluminum and boron, as well as molecules like carbon dioxide and sulfur trioxide. Lewis acids can also be formed by protonation of a molecule, such as ammonia becoming ammonium ion.

3. How do I identify a Lewis acid in a chemical reaction?

In a chemical reaction, a Lewis acid will always be the species that is accepting electrons. This can be determined by looking at the Lewis dot structure of the reactants and products, where the Lewis acid will have an incomplete octet with one or more empty orbitals.

4. Can a molecule be both a Lewis acid and a Lewis base?

Yes, a molecule can act as both a Lewis acid and a Lewis base. This is known as amphoteric behavior and is commonly seen in metal ions and molecules with lone pairs of electrons, such as water or ammonia.

5. What are some common mistakes when identifying Lewis acids?

One common mistake is assuming that only metal ions can act as Lewis acids. As mentioned earlier, molecules can also act as Lewis acids. Another mistake is assuming that any species with a positive charge is a Lewis acid, when in fact it depends on its ability to accept electrons. It is important to carefully consider the electron structure and behavior of a substance before labeling it as a Lewis acid.