Understanding Polyatomic Ions in Lewis Structures

• Thread starter bjon-07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to PF and has a chemistry question. They know how to draw Lewis structures and have a question about polyatomic ions. They mention that on the compound KH2PO4, the structure looks different than what they have learned for polyatomic ions. They also have a question about the structures of HCN and HNO3 and wonder if it has something to do with them being acids. Another person responds by explaining that H2PO4 is itself a polyatomic ion and that HCN and HNO3 are separate because they are just acids, not polyatomic ions. They also provide a link to a list of polyatomic ions for future reference. The original person thanks them for their
bjon-07
Hi everybody, I am new to PF and thus far have found it very interesting and helpfull.

I have a chemistry question, my test is tomorrow.

I know how to draw lewis strutures in general. But i have a question concering polyatomic ions,

from what i have learned you should treat each ion seperatly.

but on the compound KH2PO4 the struture looks like thus
H--O O
\ / (the lines should contact the p to the o's
P but for some resonce i can't make it work)
/ \
H--O O
sense PO4 is an polyatomic ion why isn't is seperate

my other question (which more critically of the two) is the structure of HCN and HN03

in both of the stutures the h is attaced to the struture. But both contain polyatmoic ions, cyanide and nitrate.

why are they seperate?

Does have something to do with them being acids( my not sure if they are acids, we have not covered acid in my chem text yet).

thank you for your help

Brandon

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The PO4 is not separated from the H2 because H2PO4 is itself a polyatomic ion.

HCN and HNO3 separate because they are not polyatomic ions; they are simply acids just as you said :).

Here is a list of polyatomic ions for future referance
http://www.woodrow.org/teachers/chemistry/links/chem1/PolyatomicIonsChart.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your help. The list of polyatomic ions i was using is small and only contains a few of the hundrens of them out their. Thank your replie and the list.

1. What is a Lewis ion?

A Lewis ion is a charged particle that is formed when an atom gains or loses electrons. It is named after American chemist Gilbert N. Lewis, who first described the concept of electron-pair bonds and introduced the use of dot structures to represent ions and molecules.

2. How are Lewis ions different from polyatomic ions?

Lewis ions refer specifically to ions that have gained or lost electrons to form a charged particle, while polyatomic ions are groups of atoms that are covalently bonded and carry a charge as a whole.

3. How do you determine the Lewis structure of a polyatomic ion?

The Lewis structure of a polyatomic ion can be determined by following a set of rules, which include counting the total number of valence electrons, arranging the atoms in a way that fulfills the octet rule, and assigning formal charges to each atom to ensure the overall charge of the ion is correct.

4. Can Lewis ions exist independently?

No, Lewis ions cannot exist independently because they are formed by gaining or losing electrons from atoms. They require the presence of other ions or molecules to balance out their charges.

5. What are some common examples of polyatomic ions?

Some common examples of polyatomic ions include sulfate (SO42-), nitrate (NO3-), ammonium (NH4+), and carbonate (CO32-).