Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lewis Dot Structure for ClO4-

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    I'm asked to draw 5 possible lewis dot structures for this ion. But I can only think of one. which I 've attached here. I'm supposed to draw them and determine which is the most favorable. I know I can do that by calculating hte formal charges, but first I need to draw these structures. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can think of another 4 and it would be 6 altogether if you included the correct one...

Daniel.

4. Feb 17, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

physicsss, the provided structure is usually refered to as a charged octet. By using double bonds instead of single, you can reduce the charge separation at the loss of an octet. There are several compounds which have non-octet structures so feel free to violate that rule (but realize that it comes at a cost, in terms of stability).

5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,most elements in their highest oxydation states will not obey the octet rule.Linus Pauling thought of a method of solving this problem of overabundence of mesomeric states by inventing the so-called "dotted chemical bond"...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?