Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lewis structure- and bases check please

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    Could you check these?
    Which one of the following ions or molecules can act as a base?

H2S NH4 ALH3 CH3 NH2
    I chose H2S. Is this correct?

Also I had to weire a resonable lewis structure for the molecule that has the following skeletal structure: O2NONO2

I wrote: O-O-N-O-N-O-O I am not sure how to put the dots around it on this site. Thanks for checking

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's not. Why did you choose that ? What is the definition of a bse ?

Can't say if it's correct unless you show us the unbonded electrons too. You can try using the "code" tags.

Example :

Code (Text):

..  ..
     : O = O :

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    H2S CAN act as a base, no? And so can NH2 right? I have mixed feelings about CH3...(nothing like silly questions to confuse your brain huh?)
    sorry to butt in, just had a BRUTAL :eek: adv organic test with all these basic/acid strength questions...:rofl:

Do what Goku says, but take it from me: know ALL the definitions of acids and bases like THE BACK OF YOUR HAND...and other parts you're...familiar with...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  5. Nov 12, 2005 #4
    I highly doubt that H2S can behave as a base.

6. Nov 12, 2005 #5
    Then what is the difference between H2O and H2S? I used the same analogy here, though I'm not surprised I'm wrong :shy:

7. Nov 14, 2005 #6
    For all practical purposes, H2S acts as an acid. In water H2S is slightly acidic with a pKa of 6.89. I don't know perhaps if you liquified H2S then it would be amphoteric like water.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook