1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lewis Structure + Molecular shapes

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    3. Which of the following is the molecular shape of the ion, ICl4-?

A. Tetrahedral
    B. See saw
    C. Square planar
    D. Square pyramidal
    E. Trigonal pyramidal

I drew the lewis structure, 4 chlorines bound to an Iodine. Iodine has 7, Each clorine has 7 with 35 total, the bonds account for 4, so distributing the rest of the 31 electrons, I put 6 on each chloride, and 6 on the iodine, with the extra electron floating since its a negative ion.

This is kinda bugging me since Iodine has 8 electrons from the bonds alone, and now the extra electrons put it up to 14. I must have drawn it wrong, but anyway:

Molecular shape is decided by electron domains, and since we have 4 from bonds and 3 from electron pairs, 7 total. Thats way too many, we only went up to 6 electron domains in class, and thats for a square planar.

Help? My test is next week.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't be square planar.It's a square pyramid.I hope u see why.

Daniel.

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3
    In all honesty I cant relate the names to the geometries.

I know the seesaw one is a vertical (z) axis, and on the xy plane, 3 branches 120 degrees apart.

I believe square planar is shaped like an x,y,z axis is set up.

Do you know if I did my lewis structure right?

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4
    Also the answer sheet says its square planar.

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,one electron does provide the mesomerical (Pauling) structures...But it's okay.Just the geometry that u found was incorrect.Maybe u'll learn about Gillespie's models,too.

Daniel.

7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    I have no idea of what what you jsut said means.

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry,you're right.The hybridization is not [itex] \mbox{sp}^{3} [/itex],so it's not a pyramid (somewhat similar to methane).The "d" orbitals of Iodine participate,too.I think it's [itex] \text{sp}^{2}\text{d} [/itex] who's got a planar structure.

Daniel.

9. Apr 14, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The hybridization is [itex]sp^3d^2[/itex]. The structure is square planar. There will be two non-bonding pairs oriented normal to the plane (along +z and -z).

10. Apr 14, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's your mistake. There are only 6 pairs : 4 bonding pairs with the chlorines, (that leaves 3 electrons on I, plus the extra electron for the negative charge), and 2 non-bonding pairs.

11. Apr 14, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That means two things

1.I screwed it up real badly. :frown:
    2.The structure should be octaedrical.But it's square planar,because of the 2 nonbonding pairs which don't count.Reminds me of water molecule with 2 non bonding pairs.

Daniel.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11
    Ok so there are two electron pair domains on the iodine aside from the bonds. So the chlorines iwll all be one a plane. The extra electron pairs will go perpendicular to this plane, and since they arent molecular, have no structure.

The electron geometry would be the x-y-z looking one, octahedral?

13. Apr 14, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,it should be octaedrical,typical for [itex] \mbox{sp}^{3}\mbox{d}^{2} [/itex] hybridization.

Daniel.

14. Apr 14, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "x-y-z looking one" but essentially, you have one electron pair pointing along each of the 6 rectangular co-ordinate axes directions (+x, -x, +y, -y, +z, -z). The alternate way of picturing it is in terms of a pair of square pyramids stuck to each other; or otherwise, 4 pairs pointing towards the corners of a square (with the central atom in the middle of the square) and 2 pairs pointing normally up and down.

15. Apr 14, 2005 #14
    xyz looking one means the structure where it lokos like the xyz axes on a graph. I believe we are talking about the same one, octahedral. I just need to look over the names of the geometries.

Thanks to both of you.

16. Apr 15, 2005 #15
    It would be [c] because looking at I itself, it has 2 lone pair (4 valence electrons; don't forget the -ve charge on the molecule) and 4 arms sticking out to hold the Cl atoms to it.

Don't panic, try to visualise it this way....a piece of square cardboard with the I atom in the middle, 4 Cl atoms at the corners, and then you have 2 big lobes (2 lone paris) sticking out from the top and bottom of the cardboard.

Hope this helps! :smile:

17. Apr 15, 2005 #16
    Some additional notes to help you prepare (try to memorise them!)

Bonding domains (BD) - bonded to another atom
    Non-bonding domains (NBD) - signify lone pairs

[2 pairs]
    Linear - 2 BD, 0 NBD e.g. CO2

[3 pairs] incld lone pairs
    Trigonal planar - 3 BD, 0 NBD
    Bent - 2 BD, 1 NBD

[4 pairs] incld lone pairs
    Tetrahedral - 4 BD, 0 NBD
    Trigonal pyramidal - 3 BD, 1 NBD
    Bent (tetrahedral) - 2 BD, 2 NBD e.g. H20

[5 pairs] incld lone pairs
    Trigonal bipyrimidal - 5 BD, 0 NBD
    Seesaw - 4 BD, 1 NBD
    T-shaped - 3 BD, 2 NBD
    Linear (trigonal bipyramidal) - 2 BD, 3 NBD *this one has 3 lobes (3 lone pairs) surrounding the central atom on a plane and 2 atom attached to it from the top and bottom.*

[6 pairs] incld lone pairs
    Octahedral - 6 BD, 0 NBD
    Square pyrimidal - 5 BD, 1 NBD
    Square planar - 4 BD, 2 NBD

18. Apr 15, 2005 #17

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hold on a second.Isn't [itex] \mbox{CO}_{2} [/itex]

[tex] \left|\bar{O}=C=\bar{O}\right| [/tex]

,with 4 pairs ...?

Daniel.

19. Apr 15, 2005 #18
    CO2 has 2 bonding domains, the lone pairs are on the oxygen atoms and not the central carbon atom. Each double bond counts as one electron domain.

No of electron domains = No of atoms bonded to central atom + No of non-bonding pairs on the central atom.

20. Apr 15, 2005 #19

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,i see.I wasn't familiar with this terminology.

Daniel.

21. Apr 29, 2008 #20
    where does the extra electron come from that makes the entire molecule negative?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?