1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lewis Structure.

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    write lewis structure for SOCl2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    .. .. ..
    :Cl-S-Cl:
    .. | ..
    :O:

what i did was put S in the middle with a single bond on both side for Cl, each Cl has six dot. S has two at the top. I havve a single bond at the bottom of S to connect to O. O has six dot.
    i wanted to know if i can also write another structure. like take one set of electron away frm Oxygen and put a double bond connect sulfur and oxygen, instead of a single bond? please let me know if the top diagram is correct also. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

From the Lewis structure you drew, the oxygen would have a formal charge of -1 and the sulfur would have a formal charge of +1. In order to eliminate these formal charges you can use a lone pair from the oxygen to form a double bond with the sulfur. This leaves none of the atoms with a formal charge, but it leaves sulfur with 10 electrons in its valence shell. This would normally be a problem, but because sulfur is in the third period of the periodic table, it can violate the octet rule by using its d-orbitals to expand its valence shell and hold more than eight electrons.

So the structure with a double bond between the sulfur and oxygen would be the correct Lewis structure.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook