Checking Lewis Structure of Barium Peroxide

In summary, the chemical formula for barium peroxide is BaO2. It has a total of 14 valence electrons, with the barium atom contributing 2 and each oxygen atom contributing 6. To determine the Lewis structure, draw the skeletal structure and distribute the valence electrons to each atom while following the octet rule. The formal charge of the barium atom is 0, while each oxygen atom has a formal charge of -1. The Lewis structure of barium peroxide is stable due to the full outer shells on each atom and the balanced formal charges.
omni
tell me if i correct i tried to draw the Lewis structure of what i think is Barium peroxide
in the picture you can see the formula.

in red dot is the extra electron.

thanks.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
BaO2 is neutral.

oh yes there too many electron.
so if i want to draw the Lewis structure of the formula that you can see in the picture.
i need to remove one electron from the both O atoms.

thank you.

1. What is the chemical formula for barium peroxide?

The chemical formula for barium peroxide is BaO2.

2. How many valence electrons does barium peroxide have?

Barium peroxide has a total of 14 valence electrons: 2 from the barium atom and 6 from each oxygen atom.

3. How do you determine the Lewis structure of barium peroxide?

To determine the Lewis structure of barium peroxide, start by drawing the skeletal structure with the barium atom in the center and the oxygen atoms surrounding it. Then, distribute the valence electrons around the atoms, making sure each atom has a full outer shell. Remember to follow the octet rule, with the exception of the central barium atom which can hold up to 8 electrons in its outer shell.

4. What is the formal charge of each atom in the Lewis structure of barium peroxide?

The formal charge of the barium atom in barium peroxide is 0, as it has 2 valence electrons and is sharing 2 electrons with each oxygen atom. The formal charge of each oxygen atom is -1, as they each have 6 valence electrons and are sharing 2 electrons with the barium atom.

5. Is the Lewis structure of barium peroxide stable?

Yes, the Lewis structure of barium peroxide is stable. Each atom has a full outer shell and there are no lone pairs on the central atom. Additionally, the formal charges are all 0 or -1, which is a more stable arrangement than having formal charges of +1 or -2.