Drawing Lewis Structures for VSPER: Problem Solutions

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, the speaker is having trouble drawing Lewis structures related to VSPER theory and was given 22 structures to draw. They specifically mention having difficulty with structures involving [N(CH3)4]+, ICl2, and [ICl4]-. They ask for help and suggest visiting a chemistry forum. The speaker then shares a method for drawing Lewis structures called the Clarke method. They explain the steps and give an example for ICl4-. They also mention that this method may not provide all the information needed for the structure and formal charges and experience may be necessary to determine the correct structure.
decibel
i'm having trouble drawing up some lewis structures related to VSPER theory.
i was given 22 Lewis structures to draw and i had problems with these ones...

1 - [N(CHsubscript3)subscript4]^+
2 - IClsubscript2
3 - [IClsubscript4]^-

thanks if anyone can help out with these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
decibel said:
i'm having trouble drawing up some lewis structures related to VSPER theory.
i was given 22 Lewis structures to draw and i had problems with these ones...

1 - [N(CHsubscript3)subscript4]^+
2 - IClsubscript2
3 - [IClsubscript4]^-

thanks if anyone can help out with these questions.

Try visiting the Chemistry forum in Other Sciences, i remember doing this exercices, but a long time ago :smile:

Were you taught the 5-step method for drawing Lewis structures?

Clarke's Method

Hi

Here's something known as the Clarke method for drawing Lewis Structures. I read it from a General Chemistry book by Dr. Hubbard (I forget the complete name). I've found it very effective and thought I should share it with you folks.

1. Find the TOTAL number of electrons ([tex]n_{e}[/tex]) for a species. For [tex]ICl_{4}^{-}[/tex] this would be 7+4(7)+1 = 36.
2. Next compute the quantity (6y+2) where y is the total number of atoms minus hydrogen (for [tex]H_{2}O[/tex] this would be 1).
3. Compare [tex]n_{e}[/tex] and (6y+2):

(a) if [tex]n_{e}[/tex] < (6y+2) then the species contains a double bond. For ICl4-, 6y+2 = 32 which is less than 36 by 4 so there is either a triple bond or two double bonds (and you can see that there are actually 2 double bonds here).

(b) if [tex]n_{e}[/tex] = 6y+2, the structure contains only single bonds. As an example consider the water molecule. For it, [tex]n_{e} = 8[/tex] and 6y+2 = 8.

(c) if [tex]n_{e}[/tex] > (6y+2) the central atom has an expanded octet (which means it cannot belong to the second period as the second period elements do not have d-orbitals). For example, [tex]IF_{7}[/tex] has [tex]n_{e} = 7+7(7) = 56[/tex] and 6y+2 = 6(8)+2 = 50.

Note that this method will only take you a bit further in making the structure but won't tell you the crucial information: that of connectivities. You must then use formal charges and some experience to rule out incorrect structures if more than one is possible.

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is the purpose of drawing Lewis Structures for VSEPR?

Drawing Lewis Structures for VSEPR helps illustrate the molecular geometry and electron distribution of a molecule. This information is important in understanding the physical and chemical properties of a compound.

2. What are the steps for drawing a Lewis Structure for VSEPR?

The steps include: identifying the central atom, determining the total number of valence electrons, arranging the atoms in the correct geometry, placing the electrons around the atoms to fulfill the octet rule, checking for formal charges, and assigning any remaining electrons to the central atom.

3. How do you determine the central atom in a Lewis Structure for VSEPR?

The central atom is typically the atom with the lowest electronegativity or the atom with the highest valence electrons. It is usually the atom that forms the most bonds in the molecule.

4. What is the role of the VSEPR theory in drawing Lewis Structures?

The VSEPR theory helps predict the shape and electron distribution of a molecule based on the number of electron pairs around the central atom. This information is crucial in correctly arranging the atoms and electrons in a Lewis Structure.

5. Can a molecule have multiple correct Lewis Structures?

Yes, some molecules can have multiple correct Lewis Structures. This is known as resonance and it occurs when electrons can be delocalized between multiple atoms in the molecule. The true structure of the molecule is a hybrid of all the resonance structures.