Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LHC & Chronons

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    Hello. I'm a 15 year old student interested in theoretical physics. I took Calculus I in 7th grade at Hood College, Calculus II in eighth grade, and Calculus III in ninth, so math doesn't scare me.

I've heard ideas that the new LHC might confirm a Higgs field, generate micro-black holes, and other interesting phenomena, but I'm curious, does anyone think it may provide evidence in favor of or opposed to quantised time, or chronons? The concept has facinated me, since it provides an explanation for multiple things and seems parallel to all those other quantum trends (like the Planck lenghth, bosons, etc). With the Higgs boson, it's even possible inertia is a quantum force, so all that's left is time. It seems like it would be wonderfully symetric if time followed suit.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    There have been various theories proposing chronons throughout the 20th century. Here is a review paper:

Introduction of a Quantum of Time ("chronon"), and its Consequences for Quantum Mechanics

Some of the more interesting predictions of these models include excited states of the electron e.g. more heavy leptons.
  4. Aug 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Are there any other articles you could recommend on the subject?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?