Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LHC results

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    So the LHC is set to kick back on in September. How long will it be before we get results? How long do you think it will be before we find something new (if we do find something)? I remember hearing someone (I think my physics teacher) saying that it would be a few years before we get any real results to work with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it will fail again and we will wait another year.

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    Ditto. Then fail again after that.

5. Jun 21, 2009 #4
    We will. We have very good reasons to think so. The machine was built to reach the electroweak breaking scale and all the rest is speculation.

6. Jun 21, 2009 #5
    It's great but Jason, not every place is like Canada.

7. Jun 22, 2009 #6
    But, supposing it doesn't fail, how long will it take before we get word of an actual result? How long before we hear "Hey, we found the Higgs!" or "Look! X is happening!" or "Panic! Black hole!"?

8. Jun 22, 2009 #7
    Approximately the age of the universe times the number of neutrinos in the visible universe time the number of words you need to read before you will convince yourself it can not happen.

Otherwise, physics results will begin publication by one or two years of data (that's not calendar days), and maybe three if we're unlucky with the parameters Nature chose.

9. Jun 22, 2009 #8
    I too would be interested to know what goes into analyzing LHC data. I work in a different area of HEP (particle astrophysics). I personally haven't started analyzing data yet, but the older grad student in my group usually seems to take a month or so between getting new data and deriving the spectrum for some source. I'd assume it's faster in regular HEP, since those guys have much more data they can work with, but I don't know how data analysis works for them.

10. Jun 22, 2009 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We received this last week from CERN concerning the LHC update:

Zz.

11. Jun 22, 2009 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This seems to say that there was/is a systematic problem with the splices, and that the problem last fall was not just a one-off.

12. Jun 22, 2009 #11
    LHC , the name makes my memory strike that the German scientist failed for what they claim for the formation of black holes and would be dangerous,which definitely didnot happen

13. Jun 22, 2009 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's why it is down for so long. I've been told that they had to go into other sectors because the same thing was done with the others. Some repairs and re-installations were also done in those unaffected sectors during this downtime.

Zz.

14. Jun 22, 2009 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, yes, and no. The worst splice was in Section 3-4. That's why it's not there anymore. :grumpy: After that, they have looked at other splices, and repaired/replaced a small number other ones that were not so bad.

The message from the DG is maybe a little confusing on one point. There are two separate things being called "splices". One is a superconductor-to-superconductor junction. That's what failed last year. There is also a copper-to-copper junction. Obviously these are separate problems.

15. Jun 22, 2009 #14
    Three years, maybe? Good. The longer it takes them to get up and going and get some results, the more time I have to get through my undergrad physics degree to understand the results that will be announced. :biggrin:

I thought the LHC was supposed to operate at a maximum of 7 TeV. When will they get to these energy levels? How much more energy is 4 TeV than the current particle accelerators can generate?

16. Jun 22, 2009 #15

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Factor of 4.

17. Jun 23, 2009 #16
    It would be great to have the LHC up and running... Perhaps we can have some useful results soon... Also, that report sounds straight out of a video game zz. Reminds me of Doom 3's PDA messages...

18. Jun 23, 2009 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah Canada is a great place. :!!)
    Too bad no other place is better. :biggrin:

19. Jun 23, 2009 #18
    For what I've seen, yes it was great indeed. I too, if I were living in Canada, would find no time to work :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook