Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LHC Schedule

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The present LHC schedule has first collisions scheduled for Thursday.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

A transformer at point 8 failed. No beam until Wednesday. This makes Thursday collisions unlikely.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    Some questions maybe some of you can answer:
    At what energy level and intensity are the first collisions supposed to occur?

At which sites are they going to be recorded first for calibration purposes, or will everyone start taking data all at once?

Are all sites ready?

I assume with all the different experiments set up there must be preference for calibration.

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The first collisions are at injection energy, 450 GeV on 450 GeV. There will be 2 bunches per beam, with one collision at Point 1 (ATLAS) and another at Point 5 (CMS). Luminosity is anyone's guess - mine is about 10^27 /cm2/s which is about one millionth of design and corresponds to an interaction rate of around 40 Hz.

Within about a month, the hope is that there will be collisions at 5 TeV on 5 TeV at 10^31 or so - about 1% of design. This run's total delivered luminosity is expected to be about 1% of what the Tevatron has collected so far, within maybe a factor of 3 or 4 each way. There will then be a shutdown for several months, and when they come up again in 2009, the hope is that they will be at full energy and will work there way up to design luminosity.

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5

A/4

Is the schedule posted online anywhere? I searched the LHC website, but couldn't find anything specific.

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I don't think the entire schedule is posted anywhere. There's the long term plan (months), which is reported to the experiments by CERN management, and there's a short term plan (one or two days) on the LHC operations web site. But to pick a date in October and say that's when there will be collisions is premature: sure, one could pick a date, but depending on experience it will be bound to change.

8. Sep 15, 2008 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The 450 GeV first collision has been rescheduled for this Sunday.

Zz.

9. Sep 18, 2008 #8
    Yes i think they continuously proceed with testing. The dates like 10 september or 21 october are just "media-days". I think after their official launch of 10 september, there will be less interest from the media. But indeed, the most interesting moment will be when the first collissions take place. They are very cautious that nothing goes wrong this time ... I wonder what energies will be necessary to desintegrate the protons and when this will happen...

10. Sep 19, 2008 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Quench in sector 3-4 today. That will delay collisions a few more days minimum.

11. Sep 19, 2008 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Sep 20, 2008 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Sep 20, 2008 #12
    LHC damaged by black hole. Earth next.

It looks like the earth has been spared for another 2 weeks.
    MSNBC

14. Sep 20, 2008 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Sep 20, 2008 #14
    Re: LHC damaged by black hole. Earth next.

I fat fingered the 'weeks' key. This is bad news. It means I'll have to meet my deadlines after all.

16. Sep 20, 2008 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: LHC damaged by black hole. Earth next.

Er.. you definitely will have to meet your deadline. Even if they get first collision, it is at such a low energy, it is well below those done right now at the Tevatron. No black there yet last time I checked. It will take a while (a long while) before they get to optimum condition.

Zz.

17. Sep 20, 2008 #16
    Well , seems to match the scedule of the maya's too... :smile:

18. Sep 20, 2008 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Here is the official statement:

The long-term schedule implications are not obvious - this may actually bring the machine to full energy quicker. If you recall, the reason that the first high energy collisions were to be at 10 TeV rather than 14 TeV was that the magnets needed about two months of additional training. Well, for 7/8 of the ring, a two month window just opened up. It may even by wise to do this now, and try and trigger a similar incident if there are other magnets that may potentially fail in the same way. You'd rather cool down two sectors in parallel instead of one after the other.

19. Sep 20, 2008 #18

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Vanadium,
    Do you know if the quench and the helium leak are related? Do you have any more detail on the helium leak? Sounds like the helium actually came out through the vacuum jacket somehow and got into the tunnel.

Also, do you know if the magnets were ramped up to full field prior to the quench? Seems odd that a magnet would spontaneously quench. Most quenches occur only during ramping.

20. Sep 23, 2008 #19

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The quench occurred during ramping tests to 5 TeV. Obviously for helium to be leaking there was damage to at least one magnet.

21. Sep 23, 2008 #20

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

New official statement just came out (Tuesday)
    http://blogs.uslhc.us/?p=388

restart "early spring 2009"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?