LHC Wormholes

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Two Russian Mathematicians claim that the Large Hadron Collider (being built in Switzerland) has the potential to "tear holes" in spacetime.

Here is their paper written from the http://www.mi.ras.ru/index.php?l=1"

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0710.2696

Just curious on people's thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Don't much more energetic collisions happen all the time in our upper atmosphere? So called "Oh-My-God" particles that travel at like 0.99c?

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Not sure if they're comparable to what the LHC will do, but we know at least that the LHC offers us something more than observing the collisions in the ionosphere or there would be no reason to build it.

Well yeah, that's the whole point. But people are saying "What if they create a black hole and suck us all in!!!!!11" (not the guys you are talking about, just the general public). I am just asking if it is true or not that there are more energetic collisions in our atmosphere happening on a regular basis. That would put our fears to rest about that part.

Observing something like tears in the spacetime would be cool.

wolram
Gold Member
Was it not anwered before that a black hole created this way would evaporate very quickly.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry Pathagorean but I should have explained. If a paper is published in an appropriate mainstream journal, then it may be referenced in a regular forum; if not, then, less special exceptions like Garret Lisi's paper, it is not elegible for discussion anywhere on PF.

If this paper doesn't get published then consider that your critique.

S&D is strictly for claims of and evidence for unexplained phenomena outside of the mainstream.

Last edited: