Mastering L'Hopital's Rule: Solving Indeterminate Forms in Calculus

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    l'hopital
In summary,-Estimate the limit using L'Hopital's rule: x*tan(1/x) = [tan(1/x)]/[1/x]-For both 1 or 2? 1. x*tan(1/x) = [tan(1/x)]/[1/x]If you let u = 1/x, then the above is tan(u)/u which has a known limit as u -->0+.-2. lnx - ln sinx = ln(x/sin x)lim ln(x/sin x) = ln(lim (x/sin x)), provided that the limit exists
IntegrateMe
Estimate the limit using L'Hopital's rule:

1. limit of x is going to infinity of xtan(1/x)

Okay, I have no idea how to do #1, but i know the indetermiate form is infinity*0.

2. limit as x tends to 0+ of (lnx - ln sinx)

For #2 the indeterminate form is infinity-infinity, so i took the derivative of the function and got:

(1/x) - (cosx/sinx) which yields the same indeterminate form of infinity - infinity.

So my question is, should i get both with a common denominator, or should i derive (1/x) - (cosx/sinx) again and plug 0 to see if it works?

Any suggestions? For both 1 or 2?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. x*tan(1/x) = [tan(1/x)]/[1/x]
If you let u = 1/x, then the above is tan(u)/u which has a known limit as u -->0+.

2. lnx - ln sinx = ln(x/sin x)

lim ln(x/sin x) = ln(lim (x/sin x)), provided that the limit exists.

Mark, tan(u)/u is going to be 0/0 which is an indeterminate form?

Well, tan(u)/u is 0/0 which is an indeterminate form. Do i take the derivative of tan(u)/u then substitute "u" back into the equation? I'm confused on what you did for #2?

for 1, in my opinion, i don't like u substitution so I just evaluate the limit without substituting.
I would do what Mark44 said and form tan(1/x)/(1/x)
as you should see, you'll get 0/0 for which you can take the derivatives and go from there

for number 2, the properties of a logarithm were applied and since ln is a continuous function, you can take the limit of the inside while keeping ln on the outside for a little

Ok so, dy/dx = [sec2(1/x)/x2]/(1/x2)
Then what?

Any help for #2?

So, for #2 i can do:

d/dx ln(lim (x/sin x)) = ln (1/cosx) ?
plug in 0 and get ln (1/1) = 0?

for number 2, again do what Mark44 suggested without any substitution(my opinion) if the need arises.
So, ln(x) - ln (sinx) becomes ln(x/sinx)
(remember that property of logarithms)(if not, it would be best to look over those again)

then, you take the limit as x approaches 0 from the right of ln(x/sinx).
since ln is a continuous function on its entire domain(looking at the graph of ln x should answer any doubts), you can first take the limit as x approaches 0+ of x/sinx, then when you get an answer put it in the ln function like so: ln(answer) = true answer ( can't forget about the ln you took out)

are you sure 1/1 = 0? and don't forget about the ln you took out to apply the limit

i said the ln(1/1) = 0

so if i were to use the ln(x/sinx) function and find the limit as it tends to 0+, i would just get the ln(0/0); so, the answer is just infinity?

good question
i would say no because you have an indeterminate form, which wouldn't be infinity
you need to resolve the problem of the indeterminate form to evaluate the limit
0/0 is definitely not infinity

Oh, i see.
Okay, i think i understand the situation now, thanks!

1. What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for certain types of functions, the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the limit of the original function.

2. When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should be used when evaluating limits that result in indeterminate forms, as it provides a more efficient method for solving these types of problems. It is also useful when evaluating limits involving exponential or logarithmic functions.

3. What are the conditions for L'Hopital's rule to be applicable?

The conditions for L'Hopital's rule to be applicable are: the limit must be in an indeterminate form, the functions involved must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point, and the limit of the ratio of their derivatives must exist.

4. Is L'Hopital's rule always applicable?

No, L'Hopital's rule may not be applicable in all cases. It is only applicable when the conditions mentioned in the previous question are met. If any of these conditions are not satisfied, then L'Hopital's rule cannot be used to evaluate the limit.

5. Can L'Hopital's rule be applied multiple times?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be applied multiple times if the resulting limit is still in an indeterminate form. However, it is important to note that blindly applying L'Hopital's rule multiple times can lead to incorrect results, so it is important to carefully consider the problem before using it repeatedly.