Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: L'hopitals Derivative

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] L'hopitals Derivative

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim x->0 [tex] \frac{1-x^2-e^{-x^2}}{x^4}[/tex]

I ended up using l'hopitals rule 4 times before I got the answer. And I got an answer of -1/2. I was wondering if someone could check that to see if its right. I would post all my work but that would take a while, however, if you want to see more of my steps ill be glad to do so. I tried graphing it on my calculator, but depending where I put the parenthesis it was right or wrong. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2
    My final equation looked like so...

[tex] \frac{16x^4e^{-x^2} - 24x^2e^{-x^2} + 16x^2e^{-x^2} - 8e^{-x^2} + 8x^2e^{-x^2} - 4e^{-x^2}}{24}[/tex]

4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    You can start by replacing x^2 with y in the beginning for nicer equations. I have not been doing anything with l'hopital yet, but I used the infinite series of e^x and got the same answer as you.

5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    Ok, I have another question. The derivative of [tex]-e^{-x^2}[/tex] would be [tex]2xe^{-x^2}[/tex] is that correct?

6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    i just replaced it with y and that was much easier thanks

7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

exk

yes the derivative is correct as is your solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook