Is There an Error in My L'Hopital's Rule Calculation?

In summary, the conversation involves a student's attempt to solve a test question involving a limit and their discussion about it with others. The student believes their answer is incorrect and asks for clarification. They then further discuss the solution and potential approaches to solving the problem.
mk2munky
I had a test today and there was a LR limit on it that I didn't get. I thought he said he got them out of the book, but I didn't see it anywhere. The equation was:

lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of (1 + cosx(1/x))x

So, I said that lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of cos(1/x) = cos(0) = 1

And therefore:

lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of (1 + 1)[tex]\infty[/tex] = 2[tex]\infty[/tex]

But the only LR indeterminate for near that is 1[tex]\infty[/tex] type... I left it at that. I'm pretty sure my answer is incorrect. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote cosx(1/x), pretty sure you meant cos(1/x)?

Anyways, I think you are correct, take ln of both sides. You now have

[tex] ln|y| = x \cdot ln \left(1 + cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \right) = \frac{ln \left(1 + cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \right)}{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

If you now evaluate the limit you get

[tex] \frac{ln(2)}{0} [/tex]

Which as you pointed out is not in the form 0/0, note that if you had [tex] 1^{\infty} [/tex] then you would have had ln(1)/0 = 0/0

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that helps to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives is equal to the original limit.

2. When should L'Hopital's Rule be used?

L'Hopital's Rule should only be used when the limit of a quotient of two functions is indeterminate, meaning that both the numerator and denominator approach 0 or ∞. It is also important to first try to simplify the function algebraically before using L'Hopital's Rule.

3. How is L'Hopital's Rule applied?

To apply L'Hopital's Rule, we first take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the original function. Then, we evaluate the limit of the new simplified function. If it is still indeterminate, we can repeat the process until we reach a definite limit or determine that the original limit does not exist.

4. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for all types of functions?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used for functions that are differentiable, meaning that they have a well-defined derivative. It also only applies to limits involving indeterminate forms, as mentioned in the first question.

5. Are there any limitations to L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to L'Hopital's Rule. It cannot be used to evaluate limits at points where the functions are not defined. It also cannot be used for limits involving exponential or logarithmic functions, as well as some trigonometric functions.