1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's Rule Question

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    I had a test today and there was a LR limit on it that I didn't get. I thought he said he got them out of the book, but I didn't see it anywhere. The equation was:

lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of (1 + cosx(1/x))x

So, I said that lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of cos(1/x) = cos(0) = 1

And therefore:

lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of (1 + 1)[tex]\infty[/tex] = 2[tex]\infty[/tex]

But the only LR indeterminate for near that is 1[tex]\infty[/tex] type... I left it at that. I'm pretty sure my answer is incorrect. Anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2
    You wrote cosx(1/x), pretty sure you meant cos(1/x)?

Anyways, I think you are correct, take ln of both sides. You now have

[tex] ln|y| = x \cdot ln \left(1 + cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \right) = \frac{ln \left(1 + cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \right)}{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

If you now evaluate the limit you get

[tex] \frac{ln(2)}{0} [/tex]

Which as you pointed out is not in the form 0/0, note that if you had [tex] 1^{\infty} [/tex] then you would have had ln(1)/0 = 0/0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?