1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's Rule

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    evaluate the limit as x=>0 of sqrt(x^2+x) - x

so i multiplied by the conjugate to get:

x^2 + x - x^2 / sqrt(x^2 +x) + x

which simplifies to:

x / sqrt (x^2 + x) + x = infinity/infinity

taking LH, you get:

1 / 1/2(x^2+x)^(-1/2) * (2x+1) + 1 = infinity/infinity again

looking ahead, it doesnt look like LH is going to help

any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Are you sure it's not infinity?
    Suppose you mean:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x ^ 2 + x} - x[/tex]
    If [tex]x \rightarrow - \infty[/tex], you will have: [tex]\infty + \infty = \infty[/tex], the limit does not exist for that case, so here, we are going to find the limit of that expression as x tends to positive infinity.
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \sqrt{x ^ 2 + x} - x[/tex]
    This is good.
    Do you need to use L'Hospital rule? If not, you can consider dividing both numerator, and denominator by x to get:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \sqrt{x ^ 2 + x} - x = \lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + x} + x}= \lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \frac{\frac{x}{x}}{\frac{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + x} + x}{x}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{x}} + 1}[/tex], (since x is positive ([tex]x \rightarrow + \infty[/tex]), so [tex]\sqrt{x ^ 2} = x[/tex])
    Can you go from here? :)

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    Well, in this case you don't need to multiply by the conjugate because if you just evaluate this function with x being 0 you get 0. This function is continuous in x = 0 so you can just calculate the limit of f(x) by calculating f(0).

marlon

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    sorry to cut into this post but im working atm on a question similar to this, i havent even seen LH rule in my book so that may be why im going to ask this question

how did you turn all those x's into 1's and 1/x in the numerator?

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Standard step you should have learned as the first thing in limits: if you are taking limits as x goes to infinity, divide numerator and denominator by the highest power of x. That way all the "x"s become "1/x"s and instead of going to infinity, they go to 0.

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6
    yep that makes sense, thanks

8. Nov 7, 2006 #7
    VietDao, based on your calculations, I get 1/2 as an answer. However, I dont know how your supposed to divide sqrt (x^2 + x) by x. Doesn't this violate BEDMAS rules b/c I thought sqrt(x^2+x) does not equal sqrt(x^2) + sqrt(x).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  9. Nov 7, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are BEDMAS rules??

10. Nov 7, 2006 #9
    sorry nvm, i forgot that sqrt(a) divide sqrt(b) = sqrt(a/b). thanks for everyones help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?