1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's rule

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim as x -> 0 sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e
    See Link Below.

I saw this on the net and tried to solve it. I'm wondering if I'm correct by any means or did I mess up somewhere along the line.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1174/hopitalsrule.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2
    The second differentiation of the numerator isn't correct. It shouldn't be just one term but two.
    (f*g)' = fg' + gf'

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    You did it well.

Regards.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    I think you're right Bohrok (because I have a tendency of messing up).

@Bohrok: Do you mean the second differentiation should be

-sin(ex2-1)2xex2+(2ex2+4x2ex2)cos(ex2-1)/-cos(x)ecosxsin2x*ecosx

also, would the negative signs go away since we have both in the numerator and denominator? could we reduce the answer to 0 or do we keep it as 0/e?

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Bohrok and disagree with njama. Let's take it a step at a time. Your first differentiation of the numerator was correct, but the second one wasn't, and your latest try doesn't look right either.

What do you get for
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} 2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex] ?

Also, you should NOT leave an answer as 0/e.

7. Jul 6, 2010 #6
    Thank you for clearing that up, so the limit as x->0 is 0

I get:
    2ex2+4x2ex2cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

8. Jul 6, 2010 #7

Mark44

Close, but you are missing a pair of necessary parentheses and one exponent is incorrect, according to my work.
    Edit: the 3 exponent below should be 2.
    (2ex2+4x3ex2)cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

BTW
    [tex]2xe^{x^2}*2xe^{x^2} = 4x^2e^{2x^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. Jul 6, 2010 #8
    I'm glad I finally got it because it took me a few tries to get it :/ which is typical.
    I don't understand how it's 4x3.
    And thank you for telling me that it's 4x^2e^(2x^2) because I didn't know how to simplify it :shy:

10. Jul 6, 2010 #9

Mark44

You're right - that exponent shouldn't be 3. It took me several times checking to find what I did wrong.

[tex]d/dx(2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1)) = 2xe^{x^2}(-sin(e^{x^2} - 1) \cdot 2xe^{x^2}) + d/dx(2xe^{x^2}) \cdot cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]
    [tex]=-4x^2e^{2x^2}sin(e^{x^2} - 1) + (2e^{x^2} + 2x \cdot 2xe^{x^2})cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]
    [tex]= (2e^{x^2} + 4x^2e^{x^2})cos(e^{x^2} - 1) - 4x^2e^{2x^2} sin(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]

11. Jul 6, 2010 #10
    Great! Thank you for the help... I actually added the parenthesis on my paper but somehow didn't do that when I wrote it on the computer. :| It took me a whole bunch of tries to get this right (even when I had an idea on what to do), I need to work on my math skills which I'm hoping to get better over the summer. Hopefully I'll finally gain full understanding on math once I practice and learn the rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook