Solve L'Hospital's Rule: sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e

In summary, the homework equation is: d/dx(2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1))=-4x^2e^{2x^2}sin(e^{x^2} - 1) + (2e^{x^2} + 4x^2e^{x^2})cos(e^{x^2} - 1)
RockPaper

Homework Statement

lim as x -> 0 sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e
See Link Below.

I saw this on the net and tried to solve it. I'm wondering if I'm correct by any means or did I mess up somewhere along the line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1174/hopitalsrule.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second differentiation of the numerator isn't correct. It shouldn't be just one term but two.
(f*g)' = fg' + gf'

You did it well.

Regards.

Bohrok said:
The second differentiation of the numerator isn't correct. It shouldn't be just one term but two.
(f*g)' = fg' + gf'

njama said:
You did it well.

Regards.

I think you're right Bohrok (because I have a tendency of messing up).

@Bohrok: Do you mean the second differentiation should be

-sin(ex2-1)2xex2+(2ex2+4x2ex2)cos(ex2-1)/-cos(x)ecosxsin2x*ecosx

also, would the negative signs go away since we have both in the numerator and denominator? could we reduce the answer to 0 or do we keep it as 0/e?

I agree with Bohrok and disagree with njama. Let's take it a step at a time. Your first differentiation of the numerator was correct, but the second one wasn't, and your latest try doesn't look right either.

What do you get for
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} 2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex] ?

Also, you should NOT leave an answer as 0/e.

Mark44 said:
I agree with Bohrok and disagree with njama. Let's take it a step at a time. Your first differentiation of the numerator was correct, but the second one wasn't, and your latest try doesn't look right either.

What do you get for
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} 2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex] ?

Also, you should NOT leave an answer as 0/e.

Thank you for clearing that up, so the limit as x->0 is 0

I get:
2ex2+4x2ex2cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

RockPaper said:
Thank you for clearing that up, so the limit as x->0 is 0

I get:
2ex2+4x2ex2cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

Close, but you are missing a pair of necessary parentheses and one exponent is incorrect, according to my work.
Edit: the 3 exponent below should be 2.
(2ex2+4x3ex2)cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

BTW
[tex]2xe^{x^2}*2xe^{x^2} = 4x^2e^{2x^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Close, but you are missing a pair of necessary parentheses and one exponent is incorrect, according to my work.

(2ex2+4x3ex2)cos(ex2-1)-sin(ex2-1)*2xex2*2xex2

BTW
[tex]2xe^{x^2}*2xe^{x^2} = 4x^2e^{2x^2}[/tex]

I'm glad I finally got it because it took me a few tries to get it :/ which is typical.
I don't understand how it's 4x3.
And thank you for telling me that it's 4x^2e^(2x^2) because I didn't know how to simplify it :shy:

You're right - that exponent shouldn't be 3. It took me several times checking to find what I did wrong.

[tex]d/dx(2xe^{x^2}~cos(e^{x^2} - 1)) = 2xe^{x^2}(-sin(e^{x^2} - 1) \cdot 2xe^{x^2}) + d/dx(2xe^{x^2}) \cdot cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]
[tex]=-4x^2e^{2x^2}sin(e^{x^2} - 1) + (2e^{x^2} + 2x \cdot 2xe^{x^2})cos(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]
[tex]= (2e^{x^2} + 4x^2e^{x^2})cos(e^{x^2} - 1) - 4x^2e^{2x^2} sin(e^{x^2} - 1)[/tex]

Great! Thank you for the help... I actually added the parenthesis on my paper but somehow didn't do that when I wrote it on the computer. :| It took me a whole bunch of tries to get this right (even when I had an idea on what to do), I need to work on my math skills which I'm hoping to get better over the summer. Hopefully I'll finally gain full understanding on math once I practice and learn the rules.

1. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical rule used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, where the limit of a function divided by another function approaches either 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of the two functions is equal to the limit of the original function.

2. How do you apply L'Hospital's Rule?

To apply L'Hospital's Rule, you must first determine if the limit is in an indeterminate form. If it is, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. Then, evaluate the limit again using the new functions. If the limit is still in an indeterminate form, repeat the process until the limit can be evaluated.

3. What is the indeterminate form of sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e?

The indeterminate form of sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e is 0/0. This is because both the numerator and denominator approach 0 as x approaches a particular value.

4. What is the solution to the L'Hospital's Rule problem sin(e^(x^2)-1)/e^(cosx)-e?

The solution to this problem is 1. This can be found by taking the derivative of the numerator, which is 2xe^(x^2)cos(e^(x^2)-1), and the derivative of the denominator, which is -e^(cosx)sinx. Then, evaluating the limit again using these new functions will result in a limit of 1.

5. When should L'Hospital's Rule be used?

L'Hospital's Rule should be used when evaluating limits of indeterminate forms. It is particularly useful for solving complex limits involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.