Applying L'Hopital's Theorem to Limits of Indeterminate Forms

In summary, the student is trying to solve a limit using substitution, but is confused because the limit is not in the form of 0/0 or infinity/ infinity. DiracRules was able to help the student by explaining that the limit can be solved by substituting the value of x=pi/2 into the limit and seeing what happens.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

The problem is:
A function in the form of f(x)/g(x) is given: [x^2 - pi^2/4 ]/tan^2(x) as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] pi/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Surely I can't solve this question using L'hopital's theorem since it's applicable to indeterminate in the form of 0/0, infinity/infinity, 0 (+- infinity),etc. The above function gives 0/infinity... or am I missing something.. Could I perhaps use trig identity for the denominator ?

Another problem: Also would differentiating [itex]x^{1/x}[/itex]/x-1 as x -> 1 give me an answer of e^1 only ?

Here's how I attempted to solve this problem:
I made y = x^1/x which gave me lny = lnx/x ( which's 0/1) that eventually gives me lny = 1 ? :s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing that [itex]\frac{0}{\infty}[/itex] is not a form of indetermination:
[itex]\frac{0}{\infty}=0[/itex]

0/∞ shouldn't pose a problem.

DiracR beat me !

DiracRules said:
You are missing that [itex]\frac{0}{\infty}[/itex] is not a form of indetermination:
[itex]\frac{0}{\infty}=0[/itex]

SammyS said:
0/∞ shouldn't pose a problem.

DiracR beat me !
So I can't solve this problem using the aforementioned theorem ?

There is no reason to evaluate this limit using a theorem. You can solve it by "substitution", and the form you get is not indeterminate.

DiracRules said:
There is no reason to evaluate this limit using a theorem. You can solve it by "substitution", and the form you get is not indeterminate.

Thanks for being patient with me but when you say 'substitution' are you referring to trig. identity = sec^2(x) =1+ tan^2 (x) ?
I was handed over this question sheet, where we have to basically evaluate functions using 'hopitals theorem.

no, with substitution I mean simply to put the value x=pi/2 in the limits.

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}=\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}|_{x=\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex][itex]=\frac{0^{\pm}}{+\infty}=0^{\pm}[/itex]

This is the way to solve this limit...

Last edited:
DiracRules said:
no, with substitution I mean simply to put the value x=pi/2 in the limits.

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}=\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}|_{x=\frac{\pi}{2}}=\frac{0^{\pm}}{+\infty}=0^{\pm}[/itex]

This is the way to solve this limit...

Sorry but I am further confused. :(

I edited my previous post, get a glance at it.

The thing is, you don't need any theorem.

The way to solve this limit is the first thing you should have studied, that is: trying substituting the value and see what happens.

DiracRules said:
I edited my previous post, get a glance at it.

The thing is, you don't need any theorem.

The way to solve this limit is the first thing you should have studied, that is: trying substituting the value and see what happens.

Yes, when I sub. in the values I get the following fraction : 0/infinity..
I know if it had been 0/0 or infinity/ infinity.. then I could have used L'hopitals theorem

EDIT: I suppose that's the answer since it's not in the form of 0/0 or infinity/ infinity.

Thanks for your help DiracRules! btw. dirac indeed does ;)

Last edited:

What is L'hopital's theorem?

L'hopital's theorem is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions is in an indeterminate form, then the limit of the quotient is equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of the two functions.

When should L'hopital's theorem be used?

L'hopital's theorem should be used when evaluating limits that result in indeterminate forms. These forms cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods and require the use of calculus to find the limit.

What are some examples of indeterminate forms?

Some examples of indeterminate forms are 0/0, infinity/infinity, 0*infinity, and infinity - infinity. These forms occur when evaluating limits and cannot be solved without using L'hopital's theorem or other calculus techniques.

Is L'hopital's theorem always applicable?

No, L'hopital's theorem is not always applicable. It can only be applied when the limit in question is an indeterminate form. If the limit is not an indeterminate form, then L'hopital's theorem cannot be used.

Are there any limitations to L'hopital's theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to L'hopital's theorem. It can only be used when both the numerator and denominator of the original limit are differentiable at the point in question. Additionally, it cannot be used to evaluate limits involving exponential or logarithmic functions.