1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'hopitals theorem (Limits)

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is:
    A function in the form of f(x)/g(x) is given: [x^2 - pi^2/4 ]/tan^2(x) as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] pi/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Surely I can't solve this question using L'hopital's theorem since it's applicable to indeterminate in the form of 0/0, infinity/infinity, 0 (+- infinity),etc. The above function gives 0/infinity... or am I missing something.. Could I perhaps use trig identity for the denominator ?

Another problem: Also would differentiating [itex]x^{1/x}[/itex]/x-1 as x -> 1 give me an answer of e^1 only ?

Here's how I attempted to solve this problem:
    I made y = x^1/x which gave me lny = lnx/x ( which's 0/1) that eventually gives me lny = 1 ? :s

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    You are missing that [itex]\frac{0}{\infty}[/itex] is not a form of indetermination:
    [itex]\frac{0}{\infty}=0[/itex]

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

0/∞ shouldn't pose a problem.

DiracR beat me !

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    So I can't solve this problem using the aforementioned theorem ?

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5
    There is no reason to evaluate this limit using a theorem. You can solve it by "substitution", and the form you get is not indeterminate.

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6
    Thanks for being patient with me but when you say 'substitution' are you referring to trig. identity = sec^2(x) =1+ tan^2 (x) ?
    I was handed over this question sheet, where we have to basically evaluate functions using 'hopitals theorem.

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7
    no, with substitution I mean simply to put the value x=pi/2 in the limits.

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}=\frac{x^2-\frac{\pi^2}{4}}{\tan(x)^2}|_{x=\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex][itex]=\frac{0^{\pm}}{+\infty}=0^{\pm}[/itex]

This is the way to solve this limit...

9. Oct 12, 2011 #8
    Sorry but I am further confused. :(

10. Oct 12, 2011 #9
    I edited my previous post, get a glance at it.

The thing is, you don't need any theorem.

The way to solve this limit is the first thing you should have studied, that is: trying substituting the value and see what happens.

11. Oct 12, 2011 #10
    Yes, when I sub. in the values I get the following fraction : 0/infinity..
    I know if it had been 0/0 or infinity/ infinity.. then I could have used L'hopitals theorem

EDIT: I suppose that's the answer since it's not in the form of 0/0 or infinity/ infinity.

Thanks for your help DiracRules! btw. dirac indeed does ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook