1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hospital Rule

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    2 questions...

Firstly, how can we tell if the quotient is 0/0, or infinite/infinite, I know that obviously we can sub the variable in as 0 and if the result of both denominator and numerator is 0, we can apply the L'Hospital Rule.

But how can we tell whether its a 0/0 type or infinite/infinite type? And can we apply the rule if its a 0/infinite type or infinite/0 type?

2nd questions...

I just found out x = (1/(1/x)) Is this correct? Why is that so? How do you poof it? I know that x = 1/(x^-1) so if we invert it again... its 1/((1/(x)^-1))^-1 but how do you get (1/(1/x))?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    1) You evaluate the limit as x approaches whatever number is given. If the top and bottom are both 0 or both infinite (along with another hand-full of indeterminate forms), you can then apply l'Hopital's rule.

2) x = (1/(1/x)) is true. try substituting x=2 into the equation. what's your answer? also, 1/(x^-1) = (1/(1/x)).

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    How bout 0/infinity or inifinity/0 can we use the Lhospital rule on that?

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

a better question is do you need to...

you use L'Hops rule becaus the form is indeterminant

if your limit takes the form 1/infinity what does the limit become? so with that in mind what do you think 0/infinity tends o?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook