L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian

• I
  • Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the Laplacian is a function that calculates the difference between two vectors and it is only valid for ##\rho = 0##.
TheCanadian
Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 11.19.35 AM.png

In the above expression for the Laplacian, how exactly does the author apply l'Hospital's rule? And is this transformation only valid for ## \rho = 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
To start with: I'm not sure.
But ##ρ=0## looks like the point where the expression isn't defined. How about differentiating according to the product rule, application of L'Hôpital on the first summand ##\frac{1}{ρ} \frac{\partial e}{\partial ρ}## to get the second derivative at ##ρ=1##?

fresh_42 said:
To start with: I'm not sure.
But ##ρ=0## looks like the point where the expression isn't defined. How about differentiating according to the product rule, application of L'Hôpital on the first summand ##\frac{1}{ρ} \frac{\partial e}{\partial ρ}## to get the second derivative at ##ρ=1##?

Got it, thank you. Although why exactly did you specify ##\rho = 1##?

TheCanadian said:
Got it, thank you. Although why exactly did you specify ##\rho = 1##?
I had no better idea to get rid of ##\frac{1}{\rho}## and get the ##2## of the solution. Otherwise it would have been ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})## instead.
But as I said, I'm not sure and it was a bit of a quick and dirty calculation. You've possibly done it better.

fresh_42 said:
I had no better idea to get rid of ##\frac{1}{\rho}## and get the ##2## of the solution. Otherwise it would have been ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})## instead.
But as I said, I'm not sure and it was a bit of a quick and dirty calculation. You've possibly done it better.

It's as you said: use product rule, but then only apply L'Hôpital's rule to ##\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho}##. This gives the extra term needed to get a coefficient of 2.

fresh_42 said:

Just to add to my previous post: since L'Hôpital's rule is only applicable at ## \rho = 0## to derive their expression, wouldn't it only be valid for ## \rho = 0## and no other values of ## \rho ##?

Without going through the list of conditions I used
$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(\rho)}{g'(\rho)}$$
and simply substituted ##\frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## by ##\frac{\partial^2 e}{\partial \rho^2}## which left me with a factor ##\frac{1}{\rho}## that I adjusted by letting ##\rho \rightarrow a = 1##. (I told you it was quick and dirty.) How did you get rid of this factor?

fresh_42 said:
Without going through the list of conditions I used
$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(\rho)}{g'(\rho)}$$
and simply substituted ##\frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## by ##\frac{\partial^2 e}{\partial \rho^2}## which left me with a factor ##\frac{1}{\rho}## that I adjusted by letting ##\rho \rightarrow a = 1##. (I told you it was quick and dirty.) How did you get rid of this factor?

I got the expression:

$$\frac {1}{\rho} ( \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho} + \rho \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2})$$

This gives me:

$$\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho} + \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2} $$

Now this is where I could be wrong, but I applied L'Hôpital's rule to only the first term here for when ## \rho = 0## which gives me

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac {\partial^2 e}{\partial \rho ^2} + \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2} $$

Thus it only seems to match their result when ##\rho \rightarrow 0##.

But this isn't the rule de L'Hôpital. It looks like the definition of differentials. If we take ##f(\rho)= \frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## you took ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho)## but wouldn't it be ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)##?
Thus you are also left with a choice, at which point ##\rho_0## you want to evaluate the differentials. Omitting the index ##0## only disguises this fact by implicitly assuming ##f(\rho_0 + \rho) = f(\rho + \rho) = f(2\rho) = f(\rho)## or as you said ##\rho_0 = 0##
L'Hôpital gives a general case with factor ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})##. What makes more sense in the context? ##\rho_0 = 0## or ##\rho_0 = 1##?
I think it is in any case, how ever we may turn it, a bit of a sloppy calculation.

Likes TheCanadian
fresh_42 said:
But this isn't the rule de L'Hôpital. It looks like the definition of differentials. If we take ##f(\rho)= \frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## you took ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho)## but wouldn't it be ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)##?
Thus you are also left with a choice, at which point ##\rho_0## you want to evaluate the differentials. Omitting the index ##0## only disguises this fact by implicitly assuming ##f(\rho_0 + \rho) = f(\rho + \rho) = f(2\rho) = f(\rho)## or as you said ##\rho_0 = 0##
L'Hôpital gives a general case with factor ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})##. What makes more sense in the context? ##\rho_0 = 0## or ##\rho_0 = 1##?
I think it is in any case, how ever we may turn it, a bit of a sloppy calculation.

I agree with most of what you've said, but wouldn't:

$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)$$

only be a valid expression if in this case

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} f(\rho_0 + \rho) = 0 $$

since L'Hôpital's rule requires both parts to yield an indefinite value?

TheCanadian said:
I agree with most of what you've said, but wouldn't:

$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)$$

only be a valid expression if in this case

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} f(\rho_0 + \rho) = 0 $$
No. I simply changed the variable names we all are used to:

##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+ h)}{h} = f'(x_0)##

since L'Hôpital's rule requires both parts to yield an indefinite value?
No. L'Hôpital's rule can be formulated as I did above in #7 (plus a bunch of conditions that have to hold). It doesn't require any infinity (beside those implied by taking differentials of course). It simply holds for ##a \in \{± \infty \}## as well.

Edit: You are right, I forgot the ##-f(x_0)## part in ##\frac{df}{dx}##. Shame on me :sorry:. But this mistake shows, that we have to use L'Hôpital and not just the definition of ##\partial##.

fresh_42 said:
No. I simply changed the variable names we all are used to:

##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+ h)}{h} = f'(x_0)##No. L'Hôpital's rule can be formulated as I did above in #7 (plus a bunch of conditions that have to hold). It doesn't require any infinity (beside those implied by taking differentials of course). It simply holds for ##a \in \{± \infty \}## as well.

Edit: You are right, I forgot the ##-f(x_0)## part in ##\frac{df}{dx}##. Shame on me :sorry:. But this mistake shows, that we have to use L'Hôpital and not just the definition of ##\partial##.

Haha that makes more sense. Also, just to clarify, although there is no general constraint on ## a ##, when evaluating

these are only equivalent when

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \frac {\pm \infty}{\pm \infty}$$ or

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \frac {0}{0}$$

correct?

Essentially. (##g'(x) \neq 0## for ##x \neq a## in a neighborhood of ##a## must also hold.)
It probably is sufficient to require the latter, for one may switch nominator and denominator.
(It's been quite a while since I ... what was I about to say?)

Just a remark. The above Laplacian is the radial part in cylinder coordinates, and one must be utmost careful with points on the axis ##\rho=0##, because there the coordinates are singular. If in doubt with an expression, it's better to translate it into Cartesian coordinates and analyse the situation there!

1. What is L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian?

L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian is a mathematical theorem that helps us evaluate the limit of a function as it approaches a point where the function is not defined, such as infinity or zero.

2. How is L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian used in science?

L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian is commonly used in calculus and differential equations to simplify complex expressions and solve problems involving limits. It is also used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to analyze and model systems that involve rates of change.

3. What is the formula for L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian?

The formula for L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian states that the limit of a quotient of two functions, f(x) and g(x), as x approaches a point c where both functions are undefined, is equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) as x approaches c. This can be written as: lim [f(x)/g(x)] = lim [f'(x)/g'(x)] as x→c.

4. Can L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian be applied to any type of function?

No, L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian can only be applied to functions that are differentiable and have a well-defined derivative at the point of interest. It is important to check the conditions of the theorem before applying it to a specific function.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian may not always provide the correct answer. It should be used with caution and other methods should also be considered to verify the result. Additionally, it is important to note that the limit may not exist in some cases, even after applying L'Hospital's rule.