Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I L'Hospital's rule for Laplacian

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 11.19.35 AM.png

In the above expression for the Laplacian, how exactly does the author apply l'Hospital's rule? And is this transformation only valid for ## \rho = 0##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

To start with: I'm not sure.
    But ##ρ=0## looks like the point where the expression isn't defined. How about differentiating according to the product rule, application of L'Hôpital on the first summand ##\frac{1}{ρ} \frac{\partial e}{\partial ρ}## to get the second derivative at ##ρ=1##?

4. Jul 25, 2016 #3
    Got it, thank you. Although why exactly did you specify ##\rho = 1##?

5. Jul 25, 2016 #4

fresh_42

I had no better idea to get rid of ##\frac{1}{\rho}## and get the ##2## of the solution. Otherwise it would have been ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})## instead.
    But as I said, I'm not sure and it was a bit of a quick and dirty calculation. You've possibly done it better.

6. Jul 25, 2016 #5
    It's as you said: use product rule, but then only apply L'Hôpital's rule to ##\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho}##. This gives the extra term needed to get a coefficient of 2.

7. Jul 26, 2016 #6
    Just to add to my previous post: since L'Hôpital's rule is only applicable at ## \rho = 0## to derive their expression, wouldn't it only be valid for ## \rho = 0## and no other values of ## \rho ##?

8. Jul 26, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Without going through the list of conditions I used
    $$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(\rho)}{g'(\rho)}$$
    and simply substituted ##\frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## by ##\frac{\partial^2 e}{\partial \rho^2}## which left me with a factor ##\frac{1}{\rho}## that I adjusted by letting ##\rho \rightarrow a = 1##. (I told you it was quick and dirty.) How did you get rid of this factor?

9. Jul 26, 2016 #8
    I got the expression:

$$\frac {1}{\rho} ( \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho} + \rho \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2})$$

This gives me:

$$\frac {1}{\rho} \frac {\partial e}{\partial \rho} + \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2} $$

Now this is where I could be wrong, but I applied L'Hôpital's rule to only the first term here for when ## \rho = 0## which gives me

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac {\partial^2 e}{\partial \rho ^2} + \frac {\partial ^2 e}{\partial \rho ^ 2} $$

Thus it only seems to match their result when ##\rho \rightarrow 0##.

10. Jul 26, 2016 #9

fresh_42

But this isn't the rule de L'Hôpital. It looks like the definition of differentials. If we take ##f(\rho)= \frac{\partial e}{\partial \rho}## you took ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho)## but wouldn't it be ##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)##?
    Thus you are also left with a choice, at which point ##\rho_0## you want to evaluate the differentials. Omitting the index ##0## only disguises this fact by implicitly assuming ##f(\rho_0 + \rho) = f(\rho + \rho) = f(2\rho) = f(\rho)## or as you said ##\rho_0 = 0##
    L'Hôpital gives a general case with factor ##(1+\frac{1}{\rho})##. What makes more sense in the context? ##\rho_0 = 0## or ##\rho_0 = 1##?
    I think it is in any case, how ever we may turn it, a bit of a sloppy calculation.

11. Jul 26, 2016 #10
    I agree with most of what you've said, but wouldn't:

$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = f'(\rho_0)$$

only be a valid expression if in this case

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} f(\rho_0 + \rho) = 0 $$

since L'Hôpital's rule requires both parts to yield an indefinite value?

12. Jul 26, 2016 #11

fresh_42

No. I simply changed the variable names we all are used to:

##\lim_{\rho \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(\rho_0 + \rho)}{\rho} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+ h)}{h} = f'(x_0)##

No. L'Hôpital's rule can be formulated as I did above in #7 (plus a bunch of conditions that have to hold). It doesn't require any infinity (beside those implied by taking differentials of course). It simply holds for ##a \in \{± \infty \}## as well.

Edit: You are right, I forgot the ##-f(x_0)## part in ##\frac{df}{dx}##. Shame on me :sorry:. But this mistake shows, that we have to use L'Hôpital and not just the definition of ##\partial##.

13. Jul 26, 2016 #12
    Haha that makes more sense. Also, just to clarify, although there is no general constraint on ## a ##, when evaluating

$$\lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(\rho)}{g'(\rho)}$$

these are only equivalent when

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \frac {\pm \infty}{\pm \infty}$$ or

$$ \lim_{\rho \rightarrow a} \frac{f(\rho)}{g(\rho)} = \frac {0}{0}$$

correct?

14. Jul 26, 2016 #13

fresh_42

Essentially. (##g'(x) \neq 0## for ##x \neq a## in a neighborhood of ##a## must also hold.)
    It probably is sufficient to require the latter, for one may switch nominator and denominator.
    (It's been quite a while since I ... what was I about to say?)

15. Jul 27, 2016 #14

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Just a remark. The above Laplacian is the radial part in cylinder coordinates, and one must be utmost careful with points on the axis ##\rho=0##, because there the coordinates are singular. If in doubt with an expression, it's better to translate it into Cartesian coordinates and analyse the situation there!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted