Proving L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
In summary, L'Hospital's Rule can be proven using the Mean Value Theorem, which states that for a differentiable function within a given interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval. By applying this theorem to the limit definition of L'Hospital's Rule, we can show that as the numerator and denominator of a fraction approach 0, the limit of their ratio can be determined by taking the derivative of each and evaluating the result at the given point. This proof provides a mathematical justification for the use of L'Hospital's Rule in solving indeterminate forms in calculus.
KLscilevothma
How to prove it? I've watched a tv program before and I vaguely remember the proof consists of 4 parts, which includes the mean value theorem, Cauchy's mean value theorem and the other 2 theorems. I haven't learned mean value theorem at that time and I didn't understand it, perhaps I can now.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check out http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53340.html. It's a bit too large to type in the forum. The proof that uses Cauchy's mean value theorem begins

Code:
Date: 12/23/98 at 11:43:47
Subject: Re: Proof of L'hopital's rule

The first proof uses Taylor expansions. The second uses Cauchy's MVT.

Originally posted by KL Kam
How to prove it? I've watched a tv program before and I vaguely remember the proof consists of 4 parts, which includes the mean value theorem, Cauchy's mean value theorem and the other 2 theorems. I haven't learned mean value theorem at that time and I didn't understand it, perhaps I can now.
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/3/index.html

What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator and then evaluating the limit again.

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point in the open interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

How do we prove L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem?

To prove L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem, we first apply the Mean Value Theorem to the numerator and denominator of the original function. This will give us a new function that has the same limit as the original function. Then, by taking the derivative of this new function and evaluating the limit again, we can use L'Hospital's Rule to solve the limit.

What are the conditions for using L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem?

The conditions for using L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem are that the original function must be in an indeterminate form, the derivative of the numerator and denominator must exist and be continuous on the interval, and the limit of the derivative of the function must exist.

Why is it important to prove L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem?

Proving L'Hospital's Rule with Mean Value Theorem is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical proof for a commonly used rule in calculus. It helps us understand the underlying principles and conditions for using L'Hospital's Rule, and allows us to apply it confidently in various mathematical problems.