1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'hospitals rule

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    evaluate the limit
    [tex] (lim.t\rightarrow0) \frac{e^6^t-1}{t} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    l'hospital's rule i guess

3. The attempt at a solution
    With the usual approach of this rule, you are suppose to take a derivative and evaluate the derivative at that original limit. The problem is that every time I take a derivative and apply the limit I keep getting an indeterminate form. I don't know how to solve this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2
    Once you use l'Hôpital's rule once, it's not in an indeterminate form and you can find the limit. Try showing your work.

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3
    ok so

[tex] \frac {d}{dx} (\frac {e^6^t-1}{t})

= \frac{t(6e^6^t)-(e^6^t-1)}{t^2}

= \frac {6te^6^t-e^6^t+1}{t^2}[/tex]

apply the limit

[tex] \frac{0-1+1}{0}= \frac {0}{0} [/tex]

5. Nov 20, 2009 #4
    When using l'Hôpital's rule, you take the derivative of the top and bottom separately, do not use the difference [STRIKE]quotient[/STRIKE] rule!
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. Nov 20, 2009 #5
    oh so NO quotient rule? oh ok. let me redo it then hold on.

7. Nov 20, 2009 #6
    well just looking at it the answer is 6. wow thanks for that. I thought you had to use the quotient rule.

many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook