1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hospital's Rule

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Find the following limit using L'Hospital rule..

lim..........(e^x) / [(e^x) + 7x]

= f'(x) / g'(x)
    =e^x / (e^x) + 7
    = infinity/infinity
    am i got it right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Science Advisor

Okay to here

What does that mean?

Why would you think that?

One you have e^x/(e^x+ 7) either use L'Hospital's rule again or divide both numerator and denominator by e^x.
  4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    e^x/e^x = 1 ???
  5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Err... wait. You said: when I take the limit directly I get infinity / infinity, which is not defined. So we need L'Hôpitals rule. I agree with that.
    Then you take the derivatives, and get infinity / infinity again. Then suddenly, that is defined and equal to 0?

The idea is, that
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} [/tex]
    in this case, but on the right hand side you get something which is still of the form "infinity / infinity". So you will need to apply it again.

Afterwards, to check your answer, you could try multiplying numerator and denominator by exp(-x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook