LHS=RHS in the following expresion

• Thread starter Zetta
  • Start date
In summary: However, the RHS is a countable union of sets, and thus, cannot equal an uncountable set like the LHS. In summary, the LHS=RHS in the given expression, and there is no countable subset H that can make the RHS equal to the LHS.
Zetta
Gold Member
I would be thankful if anyone could show me exactly why the LHS=RHS in the following expresion:

[tex]
\bigcup_{i=0}^{\infty}{(\bigcap_{j=0}^{\infty}{A_{ij}})}=\bigcup\{(\bigcap_{i=0}^{\infty}{A_{ih(i)}})|h\in \mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}}\}
[/tex]

where we agree that:
[tex]
\bigcup S=\{x|x \in y\text{ for some }y\in S\}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\bigcap S=\{x|x \in y\text{ for all }y\in S\}
[/tex]

[tex]
A_{ij} \text{ are sets}
[/tex]

and furthermore why there is no countable

[tex]
H \subseteq \mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}
[/tex]

such that:
[tex]
\bigcap_{i=0}^{\infty}(\bigcup_{j=0}^{\infty})=\bigcup\{(\bigcap_{i=0}^{\infty}{A_{ih(i)}})|h\in H\}
[/tex]

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
in Advance.To prove that the LHS is equal to the RHS, we need to show two things: 1. Every element of the LHS is also an element of the RHS. 2. Every element of the RHS is also an element of the LHS. 1. Let x be an arbitrary element of the LHS, i.e. x belongs to at least one of the Aij sets. Then, for any h in the set of all functions from N to N, x belongs to Aih(i). This means that x is also an element of the RHS. 2. Let x be an arbitrary element of the RHS, i.e. x belongs to Aih(i) for some function h in the set of all functions from N to N. Since h is a function from N to N, for each i, there exists some j such that h(i)=j. This implies that x belongs to at least one of the Aij sets, and thus, x is also an element of the LHS. This shows that the LHS is equal to the RHS. As for why there is no countable subset H of the set of all functions from N to N such that the RHS is equal to the LHS, it is because the set of all functions from N to N is uncountable. Since H is a subset of this set, it must also be uncountable.

1. What does LHS and RHS stand for in the expression?

LHS stands for "left-hand side" and RHS stands for "right-hand side". These refer to the two sides of an equation, with the equals sign in the middle indicating that the two sides are equal.

2. How do I know if LHS equals RHS in an expression?

To determine if LHS equals RHS in an expression, you can perform the same mathematical operations on both sides and see if the results are equal. If they are equal, then LHS does indeed equal RHS in the expression.

3. Can LHS and RHS be different types of values in an expression?

Yes, LHS and RHS can be different types of values in an expression. For example, LHS could be a number and RHS could be a variable, or vice versa. As long as the two sides can be evaluated to be equal, the expression is still valid.

4. What happens if LHS and RHS are not equal in an expression?

If LHS and RHS are not equal in an expression, then the expression is considered to be false or invalid. This means that the two sides cannot be evaluated to be equal and the equation does not hold true.

5. Can I rearrange the terms in an expression without changing LHS=RHS?

Yes, you can rearrange the terms in an expression without changing LHS=RHS as long as the order of operations is maintained. This means that both sides must still be evaluated in the same way and produce the same result, regardless of the order in which the terms appear.