1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LHS to RHS integral problem

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    I have a problem with a integral. Could someone tell me how to get from the LHS to RHS? It must be very easy, but as so often I don't get it.

Since I have not mastered Latex yet, I attached a pdf file.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In LaTex what you have is
    [tex]\frac{1}{k^2+ m^2}\int e^{i\vec{k}\dot\vec{r}}d\vec{k}= \int k d\phi \intk sin(\theta)d\theta \int \frac{e^{ik|r|cos(/theta)}}{k^2+ m^2}dk[/tex]
    (Click on that for a pop-up box showing the code.)

I had to stare at that a while until I realized- those blasted engineers have mixed up [itex]\theta[/itex] and [/itex]\phi[/itex] again! Also, it is using "k" for the length of [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. I take it that "[itex]\vec{k}[/itex]" is the position vector of a point in the space being integrated over (here all of R3).

The right hand side is in spherical coordinates, using k instead of the more standard [itex]\rho[/itex]. In spherical coordinates (mathematics version!)
    [tex]dV= \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]
    In "engineer speak", as here, it is
    [tex]dV= \k^2 sin(\theta)dk d\theta d\phi[/tex]

That has been separated into
    [tex](k d\phi)(k sin(\theta)d\theta)(dk)[/tex]
    Of course, since [itex]\vec{u}\dot\vec{v}= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex], that
    [itex]i\vec{k}\dot\vec{r}= ik|r|cos(\theta)[/tex]

It's not clear to me that breaking it up that way is valid, because clearly k is a variable (dk in one integral) and so putting k into the [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]d\phi[/itex] integrals doesn't make sense.
  4. Mar 25, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically, all that's happened is writing the integral over all space in spherical coordinates [itex]d^3\vec k=k^2\sin \theta dk d\theta d\phi[/itex] and using [itex]\vec k \cdot \vec r=|r|k\cos \theta[/itex].
    But the way it's written it looks like a product of three integrals, which it is not!
    And unless [itex]\vec r[/itex] points along the z-axis you must not confuse the angle between [itex]\vec k[/itex] and [itex]\vec r[/itex] with the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] over which you are integrating.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  5. Mar 25, 2006 #4
    Thanks HallsofIvy, thanks Galileo!

Good to know that this time it was not all my fault.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?