Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Li alloy powders

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    I need the test methods for the Li alloy powders. What type of a test is needed to determine the content of the alloy? For instance Li-Al alloy? I couldn't find a suitable test for these powders (as known, these alloy powders are air and humidity sensitive, difficult to handle)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you not get spectroscopic analysis done by a lab ?

4. Oct 26, 2004 #3
    These alloys, as known, are kept in inert(Ar) atmosphere. As contact with the humidity in the air or the air itself, it immidiately form oxide or hydroxides. So this limits me to carry out ordinary determination analysis. Would ICP work in this case? Or another think is that to convert the Li-Al alloy to its oxides, and then make wet analysis... I am not sure...

5. Nov 14, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can disperse the powder in an inert glue (such as those typically used for powder samples) and do XRD analysis to determine composition. The glue will prevent reaction with O2 or H2O. The only problem is that XRD does not have very high resolution for determining composition. You might have an error as big as 2 or 3% depending on the quality of XRD machine itself and sample size.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?