1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Li(x) function

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1
    How can i compute : [tex] S(n)=\sum_{k=2}^n\frac{1}{log(k)}[/tex]...I tried with the Li(x) function, but couldn't manage till the end...I just have to know the asypmtotic behaviour when n->infty.

Thanx.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you have an asymptotic for Li(x)? If not integrating by parts might help:

[tex]Li(x)=\int_2^x\frac{dt}{\log t}=\frac{x}{\log x}-\frac{2}{\log 2}+\int_2^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}[/tex]

If you already had this, please give some more details on what you've tried and where you got stuck.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    Ok...so more precisely my question is : what is [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{Li(x)}{x} [/tex] ? (I suppose this should give the same as [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{S(n)}{n}[/tex] ?)
    My hope would be that this limit is not 0...but I think it is.

5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might expect the x/log(x) term to be the 'main' term of Li(x), so you should consider the limit

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{Li(x)}{x/\log(x)} [/tex]

You can use l'hopital to find that limit if you like or make use of the more satisfying inequality (both using Li(x) after you've integrated by parts once-or more if you want to adapt this to a more accurate asymptotic):

[tex]\int_2^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2} =\int_2^{x^{1/2}}\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}+\int_{x^{1/2}}^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}=\frac{x^{1/2}-2}{(\log 2)^2}+\frac{x-x^{1/2}}{(\log x)^2/4}[/tex]

Where the integrals were estimated trivially (max of the integrand times width of the interval).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?