What is the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function?

• Thread starter kleinwolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of S(n), which is the sum of the reciprocal of the logarithm of k from k=2 to n. The Li(x) function is suggested as a possible method, but the person asking the question was unable to complete it. They then ask for the asymptotic behavior of S(n) as n approaches infinity, and mention the limit of Li(x)/x as a possible solution. The other person suggests using L'Hopital's rule or an inequality to find the limit, and provides an example using Li(x).
kleinwolf
How can i compute : [tex] S(n)=\sum_{k=2}^n\frac{1}{log(k)}[/tex]...I tried with the Li(x) function, but couldn't manage till the end...I just have to know the asypmtotic behaviour when n->infty.

Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have an asymptotic for Li(x)? If not integrating by parts might help:

[tex]Li(x)=\int_2^x\frac{dt}{\log t}=\frac{x}{\log x}-\frac{2}{\log 2}+\int_2^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}[/tex]

If you already had this, please give some more details on what you've tried and where you got stuck.

Last edited:
Ok...so more precisely my question is : what is [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{Li(x)}{x} [/tex] ? (I suppose this should give the same as [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{S(n)}{n}[/tex] ?)
My hope would be that this limit is not 0...but I think it is.

You might expect the x/log(x) term to be the 'main' term of Li(x), so you should consider the limit

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{Li(x)}{x/\log(x)} [/tex]

You can use l'hopital to find that limit if you like or make use of the more satisfying inequality (both using Li(x) after you've integrated by parts once-or more if you want to adapt this to a more accurate asymptotic):

[tex]\int_2^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2} =\int_2^{x^{1/2}}\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}+\int_{x^{1/2}}^x\frac{dt}{(\log t)^2}=\frac{x^{1/2}-2}{(\log 2)^2}+\frac{x-x^{1/2}}{(\log x)^2/4}[/tex]

Where the integrals were estimated trivially (max of the integrand times width of the interval).

1. What does the term "asymptotic behavior" mean in relation to the Li(x) function?

The asymptotic behavior of a function refers to how it behaves as the input value approaches infinity. In the case of the Li(x) function, it describes the growth rate of the function as x becomes very large.

2. How is the asymptotic behavior of S(n) related to the Li(x) function?

S(n) is the sum of the first n terms of the Li(x) function, so its asymptotic behavior is directly influenced by the behavior of the Li(x) function as n approaches infinity.

3. Can you provide an explicit formula for the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function?

Yes, the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function is given by the formula S(n) ~ Li(x) as n approaches infinity. This means that S(n) grows at the same rate as the Li(x) function as n becomes very large.

4. How does the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function compare to other well-known functions?

The asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function is similar to that of the logarithmic function, but it grows slightly faster. It is also slower than exponential and factorial growth.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function?

Yes, understanding the asymptotic behavior of S(n) with the Li(x) function can be useful in analyzing algorithms and their efficiency, particularly in number theory and prime number distribution. It can also help in predicting the behavior of the function for large inputs.