LiAlH4 Reducing Agent: An Explanation

• Thread starter Saoist
  • Start date
In summary, the alkali hydrides are not very good reducing agents. They tend to act as strong bases, not nucleophiles.
Saoist
can anyone explain how this little baby works as a reducing agent? I've heard rumours of H- ions, but that's just weird

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Saoist said:
ive heard rumours of H- ions, but that's just weird
Weird? Weird is when you have Na-,K-, Rb-, and Cs-. And yes compounds with these species do exist :tongue: .
LiAlH4 is an ionic compound comprised of Li+ and AlH4-. It's a great source for hydride ions.
Aluminum has a low electronegativity. Therefore, the Al-H bond is very polarized with Al begin positive and H being negative. This abnormal polarization (oxidation state of -1) for hydrogen results in very high reactivity, especially with atoms that accept electrons (aka are reduced), allowing the hydrogen to become positive again (oxidation state of +1).

Last edited:
So aluminum is not very reactive? The hydrogen is then just doing the reacting and the aluminum just sits there?

Well, the reactivity is a function of the activating ability of Li+ as a Lewis acid and the instability of a formal negative charge on Al.

Cool. I sort of get it.

First the lithium coordinates to the carbonyl, acting as a Lewis acid. Then, the aluminate delivers an H- which reduces the carbonyl. The remaining aluminum species, AlH3, is called alane and is a pretty good reducing agent in its own right. The alane can go on to reduce more carbonyls then as well. In alane reductions, the alane acts as a Lewis acid by itself because the Al has a vacant coordination site. Lithium could do this too, but I think that the Li probably stays on the alkoxide you get from the first reduction. In most cases you use a fair excess of LiAlH4, so the alane pathway probably isn't as important as the lithium activated pathway (because LiAlH4 is more reactive that AlH3).

Cesium said:
Weird? Weird is when you have Na-,K-, Rb-, and Cs-. And yes compounds with these species do exist :tongue: .

cesium can u give me some me keywords about these compounds so that i can look them up and read about them? thanks

The alkali hydrides aren't really good reducing agents. They tend to act as strong bases, not nucleophiles. I'm not entirely sure why though. But I have run a lot of reactions with NaH and it doesn't reduce ketones.

DB said:
cesium can u give me some me keywords about these compounds so that i can look them up and read about them? thanks
The alkalides are called natrides, katrides, rubides, and cesides. No lithides have been made.
There is relatively little information about these compounds but some articles I've dug up are:
http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/1993/pdf/6503x0435.pdf
http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Chemie/aac/AC1/download/Altdaten/UWS0304/Inorg.%20Chem.%201982%20(21)%201966-1970.pdf
I'd been interested if you find anything else about these curiousities :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is LiAlH4 reducing agent?

LiAlH4, also known as lithium aluminum hydride, is a powerful reducing agent commonly used in organic synthesis to convert carbonyl compounds into alcohols.

2. How does LiAlH4 reduce carbonyl compounds?

LiAlH4 reacts with the carbonyl group, breaking the double bond and forming a negatively charged intermediate. This intermediate is then protonated by water or other protic solvent, resulting in the reduction of the carbonyl group to an alcohol.

3. What are the advantages of using LiAlH4 as a reducing agent?

LiAlH4 is a highly reactive and selective reducing agent, meaning it can reduce specific functional groups without affecting others. It is also easy to handle and relatively inexpensive compared to other reducing agents.

4. Are there any limitations or precautions when using LiAlH4?

LiAlH4 is a strong reducing agent and can react violently with water and other protic solvents. It should be handled with caution and proper safety protocols, such as working under an inert atmosphere, should be followed. It is also not compatible with certain functional groups, such as esters and nitriles, and may require the use of protective groups.

5. Can LiAlH4 be used in large-scale reactions?

While LiAlH4 is commonly used in laboratory-scale reactions, it is not typically used in large-scale industrial reactions. This is due to its high reactivity and potential hazards, as well as the costs associated with handling and disposing of large quantities of the reagent.