Man Asks Life-or-Death Question to Liars & Truth Tellers

• Thread starter colclipper
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a classic variation of a logical puzzle involving a dying man in a bar and two women, one who always tells the truth and one who always lies. The man must ask one of the women a question in order to determine which glass contains the cure and which contains poison. The suggested question is to ask one woman if the other would say the drink in front of them would cure the man. The conversation also mentions a similar puzzle involving a prisoner and an exit door.
colclipper
Here's a variation on the story I had not seen before. A man, who is dying, is in a bar. Two women are seated at a table. One always tells the truth and the other always lies. In front of the women are two glasses, one contains a drink that will cure the man, the other a poison that will kill him. What one question should he ask?

Physics news on Phys.org
Point to drink #1 and ask woman #1, "Would woman #2 say this drink would cure me?" If the answer is no, drink that one. If she says yes, drink the other one. Not much of a variation.

Tell both women to take a sip of their respective drink.

I heard the same 1 abut a prisoner and exit door.
Nice 1!

dav2008 said:
Tell both women to take a sip of their respective drink.
Yes, but you're supposed to ask one a question, not tell both of them to do something. Neither is obligated to do something, but each is obligated to always answer (since it says each always lies or always tells the truth).

daveb said:
Point to drink #1 and ask woman #1, "Would woman #2 say this drink would cure me?" If the answer is no, drink that one. If she says yes, drink the other one. Not much of a variation.

That'a the best answer I've seen. I had just never heard the problem phrased in this way.

1. What is the purpose of the "Man Asks Life-or-Death Question to Liars & Truth Tellers" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to explore how individuals make decisions under pressure and to understand how people communicate and interpret information in high-stakes situations.

2. How does this experiment work?

The experiment involves a group of participants, some of whom are assigned the role of "liars" and others the role of "truth tellers." The participants are given a life-or-death scenario and must answer a question truthfully or lie in order to survive. The goal is to observe and analyze how different individuals react and communicate in this situation.

3. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment can provide insights into human behavior and decision-making processes, particularly in high-stakes situations where the consequences of our actions are significant. It can also shed light on how people perceive and respond to information from others, and how trust and deception play a role in our interactions.

4. What are the potential ethical considerations of this experiment?

As with any experiment involving human subjects, there are potential ethical considerations that must be addressed. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants, ensuring their safety and well-being throughout the experiment, and debriefing them afterwards to minimize any potential harm or distress.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The findings of this experiment can have implications for various fields, such as psychology, communication, and decision-making. They can also be useful in understanding and improving interpersonal communication and trust-building in high-stakes environments, such as negotiations, conflicts, and crisis situations.