Library Membership: Join a University Library & Get Access to Journals

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary: Ummm...I'm not sure what you mean by "near my alumni status." Ummm...I'm not sure what you mean by "near my alumni status."
qspeechc
Hi.

Someone told me that members of the public can join our university library (she used to be a librarian) for some annual fee, but with restricted borrowing rights: you're only allowed to take out one book at a time, for one week, with no renewals.
So I did some interweb research and found that some universities have a similar thing, others do not, but mostly the websites were not very informative.
Does anyone know about this kind of thing? I'm still a student but eventually I will leave university, and then I'd like to join some or other university library, mostly so I can have access to journals and stuff. What would be the best library to join?

Physics news on Phys.org
qspeechc said:
Hi.

Someone told me that members of the public can join our university library (she used to be a librarian) for some annual fee, but with restricted borrowing rights: you're only allowed to take out one book at a time, for one week, with no renewals.
So I did some interweb research and found that some universities have a similar thing, others do not, but mostly the websites were not very informative.
Does anyone know about this kind of thing? I'm still a student but eventually I will leave university, and then I'd like to join some or other university library, mostly so I can have access to journals and stuff. What would be the best library to join?

Knowing the country-state/province would be helpful for this one. Personally, I think you should join the libraries with the best selections and hang the expense. It is an investment in your mind after all.

Well actually I'll probably just want access to the electronic journals so it won't really matter where the university is. Only one websie (U of Georgia) gave a fee -- $10 -- so most of them are probably in that range.
And that's what I'd like to know, which library that allows outsiders to join has the best access to journals etc.?

qspeechc said:
Well actually I'll probably just want access to the electronic journals so it won't really matter where the university is. Only one websie (U of Georgia) gave a fee -- $10 -- so most of them are probably in that range.
And that's what I'd like to know, which library that allows outsiders to join has the best access to journals etc.?

Most libraries subscribe to the same services, just call the ones in your area and ask the librarian, they are usually happy to help and knowledgeable. Heck, check out what kind of line they're on, for the sake of speed and reliability of access.

I graduated from Temple U and as an alumnus, I used to pay $10 a year for full priveleges to borrow books. However, in recent years, they dropped the $10 fee so it's free. I don't know what they charge non-alumni. A few years ago, my company mulled over buying me a year's subscription to the Princeton University library. The fee was $800 a year. I never got it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I graduated from Temple U and as an alumnus, I used to pay $10 a year for full priveleges to borrow books. However, in recent years, they dropped the $10 fee so it's free. I don't know what they charge non-alumni. A few years ago, my company mulled over buying me a year's subscription to the Princeton University library. The fee was $800 a year. I never got it.

Damn, that would have been wonderful access!

I suppose the fees might vary (and be steadily increasing) based on what journals the library subscribes to, and how tight the university's budget is, and perhaps what percentage of student fees goes toward supporting the library.

Another option to consider, and again, this will vary by location, is to check with your local public library and find out what interlibrary loan services they offer. Why pay for a subscription to access another library if your taxes already support a public library that can obtain the references you need? But, again, it might depend on how well your public library is funded if they can do that for free for you or if they'd still charge a fee.

Perhaps if your Uni has a relationship with the new one you will be near your alumni status will help?

What is a library membership?

A library membership allows individuals to access the resources and services provided by a university library. This includes borrowing books, accessing electronic journals and databases, and using study spaces and equipment.

How do I join a university library?

To join a university library, you typically need to be a current student, faculty or staff member at the university. You can usually sign up for a membership at the library's circulation desk, and may need to provide a valid ID and proof of enrollment or employment.

What are the benefits of having a library membership?

Having a library membership allows you to access a wide range of resources and services that can support your academic and research endeavors. These include access to scholarly journals, books, and other materials that may not be available elsewhere.

Can I access library resources remotely?

Many university libraries offer remote access to their electronic resources for members. This means you can access journals, databases, and other materials from anywhere with an internet connection. You will typically need to log in with your library membership credentials.

Is there a cost for library membership?

In most cases, library membership is included in the tuition and fees for students and is free for faculty and staff. However, some universities may charge a fee for community members or alumni who wish to join the library.