Troubleshooting Library Search: Tips for Effective Keyword Searching

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the search function in the PF Library. The user has received an error message and is seeking help to figure out the issue. Another user suggests trying different keywords and mentions that the search works for other items. They also discuss potential browser issues and will try using a different computer to see if that solves the problem.
berkeman
Mentor
Sometimes I'm dense.

I try every once in a while to do a search in the PF Library for a topic. But when I type a keyword into the Search box and click GO, I get an error message:

You must enter a text to search first

I think I figured out my problem once in the past, and was able to get the search to work, but I'm back to not seeing what the issue is. Can somebody help me out? Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sure, make me feel like a dummy, oh great wooly one! :redface:

So I click on the Library link at the top of this page, and at the Library page, I type transistor in the white Search box and hit return. Same error.

Are you clicking anything else?

BTW, is there already a transistor Library entry?

berkeman said:
BTW, is there already a transistor Library entry?

Must not be. The search works for other items there.

edit: Time for some more work berkeman

Berkeman, when I search for transistor at the Library, the message I get is

"There is no item in the database corresponding to your search"​

Maybe a browser issue? I use Firefox 4.0.1 and Windows 7.

Thanks RB. Yeah, maybe a browser issue, but I'm pretty vanilla at work -- Windows Vista and IE7.

I'm home now and will try my laptop.

Interesting. The Library search works fine from my home laptop (Vista + SP1 and IE8). I'll have to check if I have SP1 and IE8 at my work PC tomorrow...

1. How do I access Library Search?

To access Library Search, simply go to your university or institution's library website and click on the Library Search link. If you are off-campus, you may need to log in with your university credentials to access the search.

2. How do I search for specific materials in Library Search?

To search for specific materials, use the search bar at the top of the Library Search page. You can enter keywords, titles, authors, or other search terms to find the materials you are looking for. You can also use filters on the left side of the search results page to narrow down your results.

3. How do I request materials through Library Search?

If the materials you need are not available online, you can request them through Library Search. Simply click on the "Request" button next to the item and follow the prompts to complete your request. The library staff will then retrieve the materials for you to pick up.

4. How do I save and organize my search results in Library Search?

To save and organize your search results, you can create an account on Library Search. This will allow you to save items to your favorites, create lists, and save your search history. You can also export your results to citation management tools like EndNote or RefWorks.

5. How do I get help with using Library Search?

If you need help using Library Search, you can contact your university or institution's library staff. They can provide assistance with searching, requesting materials, and using other features of Library Search. You can also check the library website for tutorials, guides, and other resources to help you navigate Library Search.