Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Library Updates

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    A couple new things!

First we corrected the date so the column isn't all messed up. Second we added the last 15 comments to the front page. This makes it much easier to see what is being discussed and what has been updated. Thirdly item creators now have edit rights to their items no matter their usergroup. Enjoy!

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Greg :approve:.

One quick question, are these edits moderated?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    No, there has never been a function for edit moderation I'm afraid

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Greg! :smile:

Can item creators see (and edit) their own items while they're still in the moderation queue?

Also, is anyone notified when an item is edited? If not, then if the creator edits without leaving a comment, the edit will remain unchecked indefinitely.

Would it be possible to enable subscriptions to library items?

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, I think that at the very least we should have some record/notification that an entry has been edited, perhaps sending it back to the moderation queue would be an option?

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have the edit log system as a record but I guess it would be nicer if people could subscribe to an entry they were interested in and be notified of any changes. At some point there will be more entries than the staff can reasonably expect to monitor by 'flicking through' them alone.

8. Oct 9, 2008 #7
    Good suggestions. I am thinking of some possible solutions and I'll propose them once I have them figured out.

9. Oct 10, 2008 #8
    I propose two things.

1. A "My Entries" link. This would simply be a list of items you have created. Currently item creators can edit their items, but unfortunately they forget which are theirs and there is no way for them currently to edit something in moderation.

2. Subscribe to Item link. The subscription would be sent through the PM system and not email. Notifying you of an updated item. This "update" includes a new comment. I don't think we'll be able to describe in the notification what has been updated because we use AJAX for updating. If we did, then you'd recieve a seperate PM for each section changed and each edit. Instead if an item has been updated, it will merely tick a flag in the DB and at end of day will PM those who subscribed. You can see what parts were edited via the edit log.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  10. Oct 10, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like it! :approve:

While you're in tinkering mood, Greg, may I mention that when the Scientists field is edited, the edit log says "latex" … which could be very worrying to a creator desperately tying to work out which of his equations has been altered! :redface:

11. Oct 10, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a good solution Greg.

12. Oct 13, 2008 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Edit log not updating

I've noticed, in many entries, that the Edit log is not recording edits.

For example, in work done , there is only one item in the Edit log (even if I type "pagenumber=2" into the url).

We can't always rely on contributors to announce changes in the "Commentary".

We can't keep track of edits if the Edit log doesn't even draw our attention to them. :frown:

13. Oct 13, 2008 #12
    Tiny I just did an edit in work done and it records it in the log

14. Oct 13, 2008 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Greg! :smile:

Yes, so did I, and it was recorded.

But olgranpappy's edit wasn't recorded, nor any of the many previous ones (though I'm sure I've seen them before).

And this is happening often.

15. Oct 13, 2008 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quite a few of my edits don't show up and I'm not listed as the creator in entries I created such as the buoyant force one

16. Oct 13, 2008 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

acknowledging the Creator

I've worked out that if you create with too much LaTeX, the server doesn't renew the page, and you have to refresh manually to see it, and it doesn't acknowledge a Creator.

So I've started creating with only a short extended explanation, and adding the rest as an edit. :rolleyes:

17. Oct 22, 2008 #16

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

subscribing

For several days (though it worked fine before), I've had an error page when I've tried to subscribe to Library entries … for example, density of states and wave-particle duality :frown:

18. Oct 22, 2008 #17
    Re: subscribing

thanks, I will look into it

19. Oct 23, 2008 #18
    subscription error is fixed

20. Oct 23, 2008 #19

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

library subscriptions

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Have a free quark! o:)

21. Nov 21, 2008 #20

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Greg, if there's time, could the "Last comments" field on the front page be given the same authorisations as the "Commentary" field in the main Library, so that we don't get disparities like ":smile:" and "&#949" ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?