Proving the Last Term in the Poincaré Group Lie Algebra Identity

In summary, the problem statement is to prove an identity and the solution provided involves calculating commutators and rearranging terms. The first two terms are the desired solution, but the last term should not be there. The mistake was in evaluating the derivatives of the coordinates, but it has been corrected.
malaspina

Homework Statement

The problem statement is to prove the following identity (the following is the solution provided on the worksheet):

BCaSwpm.png

Homework Equations

The definitions of [itex]L_{\mu \nu}[/itex] and [itex]P_{\rho}[/itex] are apparent from the first line of the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to the second line and calculate the commutators explicitly:

[itex]-i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}-x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\nu}+i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\nu}-x_{\nu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\mu}[/itex]

The derivatives of the coordinates give the metric tensor e.g. [itex]\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}=g_{\rho \mu}[/itex]

Calculating the derivatives of the coordinates and rearranging I get:

[itex]-i\hbar g_{\rho \mu}P_{\nu}+i \hbar g_{\rho \nu}P_{\mu} +i\hbar(x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\nu}-x_{\nu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\mu})[/itex]

The first two terms are the solution I'm looking for, so I'd deduce the last term should be equal to zero.

Is this correct? and if it is, how do I prove that the last term is in fact equal to zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
malaspina said:
Calculating the derivatives of the coordinates and rearranging I get:

[itex]-i\hbar g_{\rho \mu}P_{\nu}+i \hbar g_{\rho \nu}P_{\mu} +i\hbar(x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\nu}-x_{\nu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\mu})[/itex]

The first two terms are the solution I'm looking for, so I'd deduce the last term should be equal to zero.

The last term should not be there. You need to be careful when evaluating [itex]-i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}-x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\nu}+i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\nu}-x_{\nu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\mu}[/itex]

For example, if you bring in the ##P_{\nu}## in the first term you get ##-i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}P_{\nu}-x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\nu})##

The first term in the parentheses should be interpreted as ##\partial_{\rho}(x_{\mu}P_{\nu})## where the derivative acts on the product of ##x_\mu## and ##P_{\nu}##.

TSny said:
The last term should not be there. You need to be careful when evaluating [itex]-i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}-x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\nu}+i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\nu}-x_{\nu}\partial_{\rho})P_{\mu}[/itex]

For example, if you bring in the ##P_{\nu}## in the first term you get ##-i\hbar(\partial_{\rho}x_{\mu}P_{\nu}-x_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}P_{\nu})##

The first term in the parentheses should be interpreted as ##\partial_{\rho}(x_{\mu}P_{\nu})## where the derivative acts on the product of ##x_\mu## and ##P_{\nu}##.
Jesus, I was completely dumbfounded and it was so obvious. Now that I've re-done it I don't even know how I was missing it. Thank you a lot!

1. What is the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group?

The Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of a physical system in special relativity. It consists of a set of generators and their corresponding commutation relations, which are used to construct the Lie algebra. In simpler terms, it is a set of mathematical rules that allow us to understand the symmetries and transformations of space and time in special relativity.

2. How is the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group related to special relativity?

The Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group is closely related to special relativity because it describes the transformations of space and time that are consistent with the principles of special relativity. These transformations include boosts (changes in velocity) and rotations in space, which are represented by the generators of the Lie algebra. This allows us to understand the symmetries and invariances of physical laws in special relativity.

3. What are the applications of the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group?

The Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group has various applications in physics, particularly in quantum field theory and particle physics. It is used to understand the symmetries of particles and their interactions, and to construct theories that are consistent with the principles of special relativity. It also has applications in nuclear and condensed matter physics, as well as in the study of black holes and cosmology.

4. What are the generators of the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group?

The generators of the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group are the momentum and angular momentum operators, as well as the generators of boosts (changes in velocity) and rotations in space. These operators represent the symmetries and transformations of space and time in special relativity, and their commutation relations form the basis of the Lie algebra.

5. How does the Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group relate to other Lie algebras?

The Lie Algebra of Poincaré Group is a specific case of the more general Lorentz algebra, which describes the symmetries of space and time in both special and general relativity. It is also related to the Galilei algebra, which describes the symmetries of space and time in classical mechanics. The Poincaré Group can be obtained by adding translations to the Lorentz algebra, and it reduces to the Galilei algebra in the limit of low velocities.