1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie algebra su(2)

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    hi ,i see from a book su(2) has the form
    U[tex]\left(\hat{n},\omega\right)[/tex]=1cos[tex]\frac{\omega}{2}[/tex]-i[tex]\sigma[/tex]sin[tex]\frac{\omega}{2}[/tex]
    in getting the relation with so(3),why we choose [tex]\frac{\omega}{2}[/tex],how about changing for [tex]\omega[/tex]?
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ½ is there because [itex]J_i=\frac 1 2 \sigma_i[/itex] satisfies the commutation relations [itex][J_i,J_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k[/itex].

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    thanks a lot,but i still cannot understand it ,because the book just gives the equation ,where can i find a detailed derivation?

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that U is an element of Lie group SU(2), not an element of the Lie algebra su(2).

Roughly, there is a factor of 1/2 because of the 2 to 1 relationship between the groups SU(2) and SO(3).

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that's correct, but it's possible that I'm wrong. I think the only point of using SO(3) instead of SU(2) is that it guarantees that we can find an actual representation (with U(R')U(R)=U(R'R) for all R) instead of a projective representation. (If we take R and R' to be members of SO(3), there will sometimes be a minus sign in front of one of the U's).

I think the 1/2 appears only because a rotation operator is always [itex]1-i\theta^iJ_i[/itex] to first order in the parameters, with the [itex]J_i[/itex] satisfying the usual commutation relations.

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is quite a lot of interesting stuff going on here, and I don't have time to tex it right now, but I stand by my statement. Note that what I wrote doesn't negate anything that you wrote; there are often a number of (somewhat equivalent) ways to look at the same thing.

Maybe in a couple of days I'll write a much longer post.

8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?