1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie algebra

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1
    I've been studying some things about Lie algebras and I've got some questions about it.

We know that for a given Lie group G, the tangent space at the identity has the structure of a Lie algebra, where the Lie bracket is given by [X,Y]=ad(X)(Y). This map ad is the differential at e of the map Ad which is defined by Ad(g)(X) = gXg^{-1}. Now I'm wondering whether it's possible to associate a Lie algebra structure on tangent spaces at points near the identity element, for example in an open set containing e, or for points in the same connected component in which e lies. I don't think you could use the map Ad for it, but perhaps some slight modification is possible??

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2006 #2
    I don't see an immediate problem - rather than taking the definition of the Lie algebra L(G) associated with the group G to be the tangent space at the identity, just take it to be the algebra of vector fields on G. Then any vector field [tex]V_X(g)[/tex] which is generated by applying the push-forward [tex]L_{g*}[/tex] to the vector [tex]X \in T_eG[/tex] can equally well be generated by first applying [tex]L_{p^{-1}*}[/tex] to a vector [tex]Y \in T_pG[/tex] and then applying [tex]L_{g*}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?