Proving Isomorphism between Lie Algebras

In summary: \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab' \\ 0 & 0 &... \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right)
Ted123 said:
assume I have a mapping that is an isomorphism (even though it isn't) and contradict the assumption.

Yes, but you won't be able to do this with Lie algebra's which are isomorphic.

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Yes, but you won't be able to do this with Lie algebra's which are isomorphic.

So if I define [itex]\varphi : \mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{h}[/itex] by: [tex]\varphi \left( \begin{bmatrix} a & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & b & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & c \end{bmatrix} \right) = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] how do I show the lie bracket [itex][X,Y]=0[/itex] for all [itex]X,Y \in \mathfrak{f}[/itex] isn't satisfied?

No, you can't take a specific [itex]\varphi[/itex].

What you do is take an arbitrary homomorphism [itex]\varphi[/itex] and assume that it is an isomorphism. You then show a contradiction.

You know nothing about [itex]\varphi[/itex] except that it's an isomorphism.

micromass said:
No, you can't take a specific [itex]\varphi[/itex].

What you do is take an arbitrary homomorphism [itex]\varphi[/itex] and assume that it is an isomorphism. You then show a contradiction.

You know nothing about [itex]\varphi[/itex] except that it's an isomorphism.

So if we assume [itex]\varphi[/itex] is an isomorphism.

Then [itex]\varphi ([x,y]) = [\varphi (x) , \varphi (y)][/itex] for all [itex]x,y \in \mathfrak{f}[/itex] since [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a homomorphism.

I'm not seeing how to use the fact that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is 1-1:

[itex]x=y \Rightarrow \varphi (x) = \varphi (y)[/itex]

Try to calculate

[tex]\varphi [E,F],~\varphi [F,G],~\varphi [E,G][/tex]

in several ways. See if you can get a contradiction.

micromass said:
Try to calculate

[tex]\varphi [E,F],~\varphi [F,G],~\varphi [E,G][/tex]

in several ways. See if you can get a contradiction.

Are we talking about the same [itex]E,F,G \in\mathfrak{g}[/itex] as before?

From the fact that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a homomorphism, [itex]\varphi ([E,F]) = [\varphi (E),\varphi (F)][/itex] etc.

I thought I had to do something with diagonal matrices in [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] and show that the lie bracket [x,y]=0 can't be satisfied?

Ted123 said:
Are we talking about the same [itex]E,F,G \in\mathfrak{g}[/itex] as before?

Yes.

I thought I had to do something with diagonal matrices in [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] and show that the lie bracket [x,y]=0 can't be satisfied?

That works as well.

micromass said:
Yes.

That works as well.

How am I supposed to calculate [itex]\varphi ([E,F])[/itex] etc. at all when I don't know what [itex]\varphi[/itex] is?

Also since [itex]\mathfrak{g}\cong\mathfrak{h}[/itex], if we show [itex]\mathfrak{f}\ncong\mathfrak{g}[/itex] then does that automatically imply that [itex]\mathfrak{f}\ncong\mathfrak{h}[/itex] ?

Last edited:
The question on giving an example and showing that the example meets the required conditions is worth very few marks in this exam paper compared to the question on showing [itex]\mathfrak{g}\cong\mathfrak{h}[/itex].

Isn't there some obvious property that [itex]D_3(\mathbb{C})[/itex] endowed with lie bracket [itex][X,Y]=0[/itex] has that means it cannot be isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] or [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex] ?

Can't I just say that since there is a non-trivial Lie bracket in both [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex], they cannot be isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] since all Lie brackets are trivial in [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] and isomorphisms preserve Lie brackets?

Also for showing that [itex]\varphi (aE + bF + cG) = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] is 1-1 is this proof OK:

Letting [itex]x = aE+bF+cG \in \mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]y = a'E+b'F+c'G \in \mathfrak{g}[/itex],

[itex]\varphi (x) = \varphi (y) \Rightarrow \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a' & c' \\ 0 & 0 & b' \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow aE +bF+cG = a'E + b'F + c'G[/itex] i.e. [itex]x=y[/itex]

How would I show [itex]\varphi[/itex] is onto?

Last edited:
Is this an exam??

micromass said:
Is this an exam??

Just a past paper but we don't get the solutions you see