Lie bracket on a manifold

In summary: The second order terms will cancel and the first order terms will be left over. So the result will be a first order derivative. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vector fields on a manifold and the statement that neither XY nor YX is a vector field due to being second-order derivatives, while [X, Y] is a vector field. The discussion also touches on the computation of [X,Y] and the determination of its derivative properties. The use of coordinates is not necessary in this computation.
Silviu
Hello! So I have 2 vector fields on a manifold ##X=X^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## and ##Y=Y^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## and this statement: "Neither XY nor YX is a vector field since they are second-order derivatives, however ##[X, Y]## is a vector field". Intuitively makes sense but I am not sure how to show it mathematically. I tried this: for a function f defined on M, ##[X,Y]f = X[Y[f]]-Y[X[f]]=X^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[Y^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}f]-Y^\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[X^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}f]##. It kinda makes sense that you first apply the vector on the right to f, which gives you a number, and the vector on the right remains just as an operator, and hence the whole stuff is a vector (but I am not sure if the results on the right can be put before the derivative on the left, such that we have an actual vector). For the other case ##XY[f]## I am not really sure how to combine the indices and what to get outside the derivatives. I guess I should have something like ##X^\mu Y^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu x^\nu}##, I think, which is not a vector (would it be a tensor?), but I am not sure. Can someone help me a bit here? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The case of XY is just part of the Lie bracket that you have. ##X[Y[f]]## is computed in exactly the same way, but will contain second order derivatives. The point is that the second order derivatives cancel between XY and YX.

Silviu said:
Hello! So I have 2 vector fields on a manifold ##X=X^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## and ##Y=Y^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## and this statement: "Neither XY nor YX is a vector field since they are second-order derivatives, however ##[X, Y]## is a vector field". Intuitively makes sense but I am not sure how to show it mathematically. I tried this: for a function f defined on M, ##[X,Y]f = X[Y[f]]-Y[X[f]]=X^\mu\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[Y^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}f]-Y^\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[X^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}f]##. It kinda makes sense that you first apply the vector on the right to f, which gives you a number, and the vector on the right remains just as an operator, and hence the whole stuff is a vector (but I am not sure if the results on the right can be put before the derivative on the left, such that we have an actual vector).
I don't understand "can be put before the derivative on the left" but what you've written is correct.
For the other case ##XY[f]## I am not really sure how to combine the indices and what to get outside the derivatives. I guess I should have something like ##X^\mu Y^\nu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu x^\nu}##, I think, which is not a vector (would it be a tensor?), but I am not sure. Can someone help me a bit here? Thank you!
To see why ##[X,Y]## is a vector field while ##XY## is not, you should compute ##[X,Y](f\cdot g)## and check for the derivative property in comparison to ##(XY)(f\cdot g)##. Coordinates are not needed here, which makes the computation a bit easier.

Orodruin said:
The case of XY is just part of the Lie bracket that you have. ##X[Y[f]]## is computed in exactly the same way, but will contain second order derivatives. The point is that the second order derivatives cancel between XY and YX.
But if what I wrote there is correct, where exactly will the second order derivative cancel, and where the first order one remain? I am not sure how to continue what I did.

Silviu said:
But if what I wrote there is correct, where exactly will the second order derivative cancel, and where the first order one remain? I am not sure how to continue what I did.
You have to use the Leibniz rule.

What is a Lie bracket on a manifold?

A Lie bracket on a manifold is a mathematical operation that measures the failure of two vector fields to commute with each other at a given point on the manifold. It is an important tool in differential geometry and Lie theory.

How is the Lie bracket defined?

The Lie bracket of two vector fields is defined as the commutator of their corresponding differential operators. In other words, it is the result of applying one vector field to the other and subtracting the result of applying the second vector field to the first.

What is the geometric interpretation of the Lie bracket?

The Lie bracket has a geometric interpretation as a measure of how much two vector fields "twist" or "rotate" as they are transported along a curve on the manifold. It can also be thought of as a measure of how much the flow of one vector field affects the flow of the other.

What are some important properties of the Lie bracket?

Some important properties of the Lie bracket include bilinearity, skew-symmetry, and the Jacobi identity. These properties allow the Lie bracket to be used in various mathematical applications, such as defining Lie algebras and studying the geometry of manifolds.

How is the Lie bracket related to Lie groups?

Lie groups are mathematical objects that are inherently related to Lie brackets. In fact, the Lie bracket operation is often used to define the structure of a Lie group. Additionally, the Lie algebra of a Lie group is closely related to the Lie bracket, as it is the set of all vector fields on the manifold that can be generated by Lie bracket operations on a given set of vector fields.