1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie Bracket question

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if the vector fields [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] are linear combinations (not necessarily with constant coefficients) of [itex]m[/itex] vector fields that all commute with one another, then the lie bracket of [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is a linear combination of the same [itex]m[/itex] vector fields.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I started off by denoting the [itex]m[/itex] vector fields by [itex]V_{(a)}[/itex] so that [itex][V_{(c)}, V_{(d)}] = 0[/itex] for all [itex]V_{(a)}[/itex]. I wrote the vector fields [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] as [itex]X = \alpha ^{c}V_{(c)}[/itex] and [itex]Y = \beta ^{d}V_{(d)}[/itex] where [itex]\alpha ,\beta [/itex] are scalar functions. Then, [itex][X, Y] = [\alpha ^{c}V_{(c)}, \beta ^{d}V_{(d)}][/itex] right? I worked out the lie derivative in component form and put it back in abstract form to get [tex][X, Y]= [\alpha ^{c}V_{(c)}, \beta ^{d}V_{(d)}] = \alpha ^{c}V_{(d)}(V_{(c)}\cdot \triangledown \beta ^{d}) - \beta ^{d}V_{(c)}(V_{(d)}\cdot \triangledown \alpha ^{c})[/tex] but I don't see how this helps me at all in showing that [itex][X, Y][/itex] can be written as a linear combination of the [itex]V_{(a)}[/itex]'s (the m vector fields). Help please =D.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am using the Einstein summation convention here so that any repeated letters with one on top and one on bottom indicates summation.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Apparently, [tex][X, Y]= \alpha ^{c}V_{(d)}(V_{(c)}\cdot \triangledown \beta ^{d}) - \beta ^{d}V_{(c)}(V_{(d)}\cdot \triangledown \alpha ^{c})[/tex] is sufficient to conclude that the lie bracket is a linear combination of the m vector fields. I'm not convinced only because, while the expression does contain linear combinations of the m vector fields, the expression doesn't look neat in the slightest. If anyone wants to weigh in I would be very glad but I will assume that the conclusion is correct for now as it agrees with what the text has.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook