1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie brackets and derivatives

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    Hi i have two questions:
    1) When asked to prove [itex]\mathcal{L}_{u}\mathcal{L}_{v}W - \mathcal{L}_{v}\mathcal{L}_{u}W = \mathcal{L}_{[u,v]}[/itex].

I achieved [itex][u,v]w = \mathcal{L}_{[u,v]}[/itex]. This was found by appliying a scalar field <b> to the LHS and simplifying and expanding using + and scalar linearitys to get [itex][u,v]w[/itex] but I am not sure if these are equivalent.

2) When asked to calculate the Lie bracket [X,Y] where [itex]X=5x^{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}-4t\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex] and [itex]Y= y\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + t\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex] is this equivalent to:
    [itex]\left((5x^{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t} -4t\frac{\partial}{\partial x})\frac{\partial (y\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + t\frac{\partial}{\partial y})}{\partial x^{a}}-(y\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + t\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\frac{\partial (5x^{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}-4t\frac{\partial}{\partial x})}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{b}} [/itex]

and if so can it be expanded any further I am not so sure but i dont fully understand [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{a}} [/itex] derivatives.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2
    never mind figured it out

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure you're missing out the vector field W in the RHS of 1).

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4
    yeah i figured them out and yeah missed it off, thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook